Open Source Editor

Started by
13 comments, last by brain21 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I'm looking to make a simulator. I'm working on the simulator part now, but I was wondering if there are any 3d editor programs that are open source and are made to be customize to my needs. Sort of like a starter base code. Something that looks like Max3d or the sort. I've tried googling around, but I keep getting free 3d editors (modeling). Brain21.
Advertisement
Blender? Wings 3D?
Can I modify the editors for my needs with these? I'll check them out.
Quote:Original post by brain21
...but I was wondering if there are any 3d editor programs that are open source...
I've tried googling around, but I keep getting free 3d editors.

(Emphasis added to highlight my confusion)
I think I know what you're getting at... but I'm not quite sure if I fully understand.
Can you clarify what it is that you're looking for?

Horde3d (a graphics engine) has an open source "3d editor" (scene designer type tool).
It already already allows to to write simple simulations using LUA, so it wouldn't be too hard to extend it to incorporate some C/C++ simulation instead.

Quote:Original post by brain21
Can I modify the editors for my needs with these? I'll check them out.

Blender and Wings3d are both 3d modelling programs, but they are open source so you could edit them to suit your needs. A fully featured modeller might be overkill depending on your needs however. Something like the Horde editor would be a lot more "bare bones" than one of these.
I guess I'm looking for an already made viewport/toolbar/menu system that can be added to to make your own editor. Like a starting point for my own editor. I want to concentrate mostly on the simulation and not the editor. This editor should handle mouse clicks/drags and keyboard. stuff like that. have tabs for menus. A starting point I guess.

[edit]
Like a 3d editor that I can customize to my needs.

Quote:Can I modify the editors for my needs with these?

So you want to edit a several hundred thousand line of code 3D editor?....
Quote:Original post by thre3dee

If it takes several hundred thousands lines to "handle mouse clicks/drags and keyboard/ stuff like that/ have tabs for menus"... :P
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
Quote:Original post by thre3dee

If it takes several hundred thousands lines to "handle mouse clicks/drags and keyboard/ stuff like that/ have tabs for menus"... :P

I'm just guessing lol.. but first you have to have an idea of how the program was coded. But I'd say that any high-end 3D editor like 3dsmax and Blender would have a lot of code...
so there's nothing I can start out with? I have to code the editor myself? There must be an easier way.

I guess I better look into doing it myself
I found one called "Scythe Physics Editor" that might work. Also I found out that Blender3d can be modified for my needs. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement