Questions for programmers

Started by
15 comments, last by Crypter 15 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I just wanna ask a few questions to you guys. answer if youd like :D 1) What made you want to become a programmer? 2) On average, how many hrs do you code a week? 3) How do you keep programming exciting? 4) If you wernt programming, what would you be doing? 5) Whats your favorite part of programming? heres my answers if you wanna know: 1) I saw the movie "hackers" and I totally wanted to be a leet hacker :D 2) Somewhere around 5-8 hrs. 3) I try to learn new stuff and not make my programs so serious 4) Selling drugs. hahah jk, but I think i would be working on my music a lot more. 5) Making my ideas come to life
Advertisement
1) I just always wanted to make video games. I took a computer science class in high school and learned to draw some ugly 2D circles in Pascal. Called it a game and from there I pretty much knew what I wanted to do with my life (at least for the foreseeable future).

2) 40-60 hrs. Well, to be fair it's probably more like 20-30 hrs as not all my time at work is spent programming.

3) I keep work exciting by never letting myself get into a rut. I don't like working on the same things all the time, so I always push to be given more challenging tasks, or tasks in areas outside of my current expertise.

4) Find some way to be paid to play hockey without actually being good at it. Or being in a band. I always thought I would end up touring in a band. It almost worked out, but didn't and I pretty much gave up on the dream once my band broke up after university.

5) When you put a whole lot of work into something and you finally see it up and running.
Quote:1) What made you want to become a programmer?

My father brought a computer home from work in 1980. I immediately gravitated towards figuring out how to program it. Looked up and it was 1985.
Quote:2) On average, how many hrs do you code a week?

Currently a Solutions Architect so it can be as low as zero, or as much as 100. Typically less than 20 though.
Quote:3) How do you keep programming exciting?

I focus on these things:
  • The quality of the end-user's experience

• Balancing the time, cost, quality triangle

• Evolving my toolbox of design ideas

• The impact that the software has on the business

• Learning and implementing new technologies (currenty WWF, WCF, WPF)

Quote:4) If you wernt programming, what would you be doing?

I also own a recording studio. I would be more active in its operation and I would probably be a drummer.
Quote:5) Whats your favorite part of programming?

Seeing stakeholders and users have a positive response to the software I build.
Quote:Original post by NUCLEAR RABBIT
Hey, I just wanna ask a few questions to you guys. answer if youd like :D

1) What made you want to become a programmer?
2) On average, how many hrs do you code a week?
3) How do you keep programming exciting?
4) If you wernt programming, what would you be doing?
5) Whats your favorite part of programming?

1) I think I always was one. After that it was just a matter of learning the syntax.
2) Well, I do it for a living so probably around 25h a week at work, and between 0 and 10h at the weekend, depending on how I feel.
3) Finding new things to fiddle with, new bugs to solve. If it stops becoming exciting I'll go play a game for a bit until I think of something intresting to do.
4) Probably something in the electronics field instead (right up until my first time at uni I was trying to pick between the two)
5) That lovel chemical rush you get when you solve a hard problem; nothing better.

1) ZX Spectrum BASIC programmers manual and a few type in programs.
2) 4-5 hours a day at wotk + 0 at home :(
3) Danger programming... make sure your housemates are about and only program when you're completely naked.
4) Martial Arts/Parkour would be my dream.
5) The bit that doesn't involve change control, working with other peoples code, organising header files and testing.
1) My dad did it, i learned QuickBasic on a very old pc and became fascinated.

2) Full time and a bit at home >55 hours.

3) By programming things i have never done before and always striving to improve.

4) Farming is the only other job i have enjoyed.

5) Seeing the final result of a task, generally.

1)when i saw that gwbasic allows programmers to draw lines and circles, I decided to become a programmer, who can use a program to draw some stick man diagrams. I was a teenager at that time, and I used to feel that no other programmer is great enough to use a couple of circles and lines.

2)@ office..20-60 hours (depending on the situation) and @ home, 10-20 hours

3)By selecting to do the work, that demands thinking (but not searching)

4)Maths tutor or stunts man

5)I have many..

a) re-invent the wheel and learn how to program by comparing my implementation with an established implementation.

b) transforming the problem statements in the problem domain to the programming space

c) problem solving
Gents nandu Intelligents veyrayaa
1. My parents kept me away from the PC, which created desire.
And then I realised that I cannot play all day long, because it's totally boring, and it's even more boring when playing alone (offline implied).
Then I realized that creating stuff is fun. I began to toy around in qbasic (Partially because my parents didn't want me to play, but the let me program qbasic some more time - awesome)
2. 30 - 60. It's more toying,planning and reading than really implementing.
3. Seeing the progress, earning respect, beeing creative, create something others like - I love it
4. Uh, well, I think being a teacher for maths and history would be great.
5. breaking the problem into small problems, creating interfaces, putting the peaces together, seeing it work. It's pretty much everything I like, except creating and understanding algorithms (obfuscated,optimized,efficient ones) and ofcourse debugging.

1) I was doing some work for a math teacher in high school (data entry of class selections for the next school year using VisiCalc - anyone remember that?) and as a reward he gave me a copy of the game Swashbuckler (another one for you old-timers!). I thought it would be very cool to be able to create games like that and started taking programming classes.
2) Let's see - 40 for work and another 15-30 for myself.
3) Everytime I see code working that I've written it's exciting, especially if it's a game. Of course, working on new projects from time to time helps.
4) Part of me always wanted to be an actor. There's also the rock star thing. [grin]
5) Seeing people playing games I've worked on.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

> What made you want to become a programmer?
Probably since I like solving problems and I like being creative. So I try to come up with creative solutions :P

> On average, how many hrs do you code a week?
I code or design things almost all the time while I'm awake. I take one day off per week. Usually Saturday night and Sunday. I would say on average 65-70 hours per week if I include design and project planning. Pure coding is probably more like 40 - 45 hours since I really need to move between tasks or I go insane. I never identify myself as a programmer though as it feels way too restrictive, I tend to say software engineer or developer.

> How do you keep programming exciting?
By learning new things all the time like new languages and new concepts. Also by hanging around an interesting crowd who all have the same passion and work very hard at it. I guess that makes me and my environment fairly single minded.

> If you wernt programming, what would you be doing?
Something artistic or more likely writing fiction novels. I would say I prefer creativity over logic but my life is ruled by logic. Creativity is what makes me happy, logic is what brings in the money :P I try to combine them but realistically a lot of it is pure hard work.

> Whats your favorite part of programming?
The part that made me want to become a software engineer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement