Sign in to follow this  
Slaaitjuh

Sampler addressU wrap

Hey guys, i am having a problem that i am banging my head over. I hoped you guys might know something about this. I have an offsetMap for a sort of displacement mapping of a terrain. The terrain offsetMap's pixels present the position of the vertex. This is created in photoshop as a A32B32G32R32F dds file without mipmapping. I found a code in ShaderX 3 about these kind of 'problems'. What i want to do is load three vertices from this map and calculate the face normal and write that to a renderTarget, so i can do the same per vertex to interpolate a vertex normal. All not to exiting, but the problem is that while i set addressU from the offsetMap to Wrap, it remains to clamp (at least, i think). The return values stuck after reading the first 'row' of the texture, and after that it keeps reading the last pixels from the rows (that is what i concluded from analyzing the results in the renderTarget). The shader code:
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// File: GenFaceNormalTopoMap.fx
//
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// Global variables

float2	g_vertexMapAddrConsts : VertexMapAddressConstants;
texture g_positionVertexMap : OffsetMap;
sampler2D g_positionSampler = sampler_state
{
    Texture = <g_positionVertexMap>;
    MinFilter = Point;
    MagFilter = Point;
    MipFilter = Point;
    AddressU = Wrap;	// required for fast 1D to 2D conversion
    AddressV = Clamp;
};

texture g_faceTopoMap : FaceTopologyMap;
sampler2D g_topoMapSampler = sampler_state
{
	Texture = <g_faceTopoMap>;
    MinFilter = Point;
    MagFilter = Point;
    MipFilter = Point;
    AddressU = Wrap;	// required for fast 1D to 2D conversion
    AddressV = Clamp;	
};

// texConsts.x = 1.f/TexWidth
// texConsts.y = (1.f/TexWidth)*(1.f/TexHeight);
float2 GPUConvert1DAddressTo2D( float oneD, float2 texConsts )
{
	return( float2(oneD, oneD) *  texConsts );
}

struct sTriangleFace
{
	float3 vertexIndex;
};

float3 CalcFaceNormal( sTriangleFace face )
{
   float3 p0 = tex2D( g_positionSampler, GPUConvert1DAddressTo2D(face.vertexIndex.x, g_vertexMapAddrConsts).xy ).xyz;
   float3 p1 = tex2D( g_positionSampler, GPUConvert1DAddressTo2D(face.vertexIndex.y, g_vertexMapAddrConsts).xy ).xyz;
   float3 p2 = tex2D( g_positionSampler, GPUConvert1DAddressTo2D(face.vertexIndex.z, g_vertexMapAddrConsts).xy ).xyz;

// calc face normal
   float3 v0 = p1 - p0;
   float3 v1 = p2 - p0;
   float3 n = cross( v0, v1 );
   return( normalize(n) ); 
   //return (face.vertexIndex);
   //return (float3(p0.x, p1.x, p2.x));
   //return (float3(face.vertexIndex.x, face.vertexIndex.x, 0) *  float3(g_vertexMapAddrConsts.xy, 0));

}

float4 GenFaceNormalTopoMap( in float2 inUV : TEXCOORD0 ) : COLOR0
{
	sTriangleFace data;
	float4 tmp = tex2D( g_topoMapSampler, inUV ).xyzw;

data.vertexIndex = tmp.xyz;
	return float4( CalcFaceNormal( data ),1 );
}

// Techniques
technique RenderScene
{
    pass P0
    {          
		PixelShader = compile ps_3_0 GenFaceNormalTopoMap();
    }
}

does anyone have a clue why this is not working properly? [Edited by - Slaaitjuh on May 8, 2008 2:37:24 AM]

i read about problems around texture sizes beeing a multiply by two, but i don't think this is the problem. The rendertarget is 128x64 and the map where it should read from is 64x64.

i just copied the original map to a rendertarget of the same size and same format and then the wrapping and stuff works great. This is confusing to me, sincei just load the texture by Texture.Load(device,byte[]); This is the offsetmap, which contains all positions for the actual vertices.

does anyone know how this can be working but not directly from that map?