Sign in to follow this  
pavachan

A Forum Question

Hello all :) I have a small website i am developing, and wanted to ask a few questions regarding the implementation of a forum. I need to have 2 forums in my website, one "forumy" forum, that is not unlike this one, a standard forum with all the general functions. The second forum is a bit different. i want it to be part of the main page, and not look like a standard forum, but rather select messages / threads in stylized containers - as if to make it look part of the website, aka digg.com, as opposed to just a standard forum. What i wanted to ask is whether i am better off using some premaid forum structure and copying it into my website, twice, and then configuring it to look as i want, as well as where i should get it, or am i better off learning how to build one and maintain a database on my own from scratch, and if so, which tools/languages/scripts should i study in order to do that. Thank you.

Personally, I use phpbb and for my (now pretty much dead) news page, I just grgab data from the phpbb database, which is pretty simple if you have a basic understanding of SQL and PHP.
You need to do a little work to convert the bbcode to HTML yourself, but it's nothing too taxing. Plus, you get the ability to post comments for free by redirecting the user to the forum topic.