Sign in to follow this  
-Datriot-

A few good game programming books.

I've read Beginning OpenGL Programming and have programmed a few small games using C++ and have found the experience challenging yet very fun. From what I've seen on this board there seems to be some experienced game programmers here and I plan to become a professional one day, so was wondering what books you'd recommend on the topic of 3D game programming to expand my knowledge in more advanced areas. ( preferably not tailored to a specific API, but is not a neccesity. ) Any help on this matter is appreciated. :)

Absolute top of my list is "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development", it's got me through some pretty sticky parts of developing my engine.

I have "Ultimate 3d Game Engine Design and Architecture" which is an absolute gem.

I'd also recommend the OpenGL books by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins.

You might want to take a look at Frank Luna's Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c : A shader approach.
It does not teach game programming per se, but it teaches how to apply d3d to game programming and various techniques which you will need to know.

I am hoping to build a game in my spare time as a hobby and was just wondering if any of the books mentioned above give an insight into object orientated design and classes in c++ when it comes to game design. I understand the concepts totally, however, don't have a clue on how i would use them in game design as the stuff i did at university (in computer graphics modules) was all written in one class and pretty straight forward.

do any of the books above give advice or can anyone recommend a different book to me that will help?
p.s. i should point out that even though i am a developer and have used opengl a lot in the past, i have never done much game programming (the concept of tiles, etc. are new to me)