CPP

Started by
9 comments, last by Simian Man 15 years, 10 months ago
What's the most featured most compliant with the standard C/C++ compiler (not ide)? GCC Intel OpenWatcom VC++ Borland C++ ???
Advertisement
Probably Comeau's compiler right now.
SiCrane is probably right, since to my knowledge it's the only one that implements the `export' keyword (allow separate declarations and definitions for templates).

I use gcc and I am not aware of any other departures from the standard. I think recent versions of VC++ have decent compliance too.
For gcc, the only other departure from the standard that I know of in recent versions (4.2+) that is not considered a bug is an obscure case involving destruction order of objects with static storage duration on platforms that don't support __cxa_atexit() involving dynamic libraries.
Quote:Original post by alvaro
SiCrane is probably right, since to my knowledge it's the only one that implements the `export' keyword (allow separate declarations and definitions for templates).

I use gcc and I am not aware of any other departures from the standard. I think recent versions of VC++ have decent compliance too.

I agree that Comeau is the only fully compliant, but don't all EDG compilers (including Intel) support 'export'?
Which standard?
Anyway, if we are talking C99 there is only 2 maybe 3 that fully C99 compliant and GCC is not one of them:

GCC, despite its extensive C99 support, is still not a completely compliant implementation; several key features are missing or do not work correctly.[6]

According to Sun Microsystems, Sun Studio (which is freely downloadable) now supports the full C99 standard.[7]
<a/>
Intel claims C99 compliance in it's latest release notes for it's compiler but I haven't tested it personally?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by daviangel
Which standard?
Anyway, if we are talking C99 there is only 2 maybe 3 that fully C99 compliant and GCC is not one of them:

GCC, despite its extensive C99 support, is still not a completely compliant implementation; several key features are missing or do not work correctly.[6]

According to Sun Microsystems, Sun Studio (which is freely downloadable) now supports the full C99 standard.[7]
<a/>
Intel claims C99 compliance in it's latest release notes for it's compiler but I haven't tested it personally?

I think we are talking about 2003 version of C++98.
Quote:Original post by rozz666
I agree that Comeau is the only fully compliant, but don't all EDG compilers (including Intel) support 'export'?

I don't believe so. I've heard that you can use the EDG front end to create a compiler that doesn't support export. At least one academic compiler I've read about is done that way, but I haven't used it myself. The only EDG front end compiler I've personally used is the Comeau compiler, so I can't say for certain.
Quote:Original post by alvaro

Intel also supports export.

Visual C++ still slacks in a few areas (such as throw specifications), but it's pretty close.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement