Problem with DirectX at runtime

Started by
5 comments, last by lollan 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I recently reinstall windows on my notebook ( Maxdata ECO 4011 IW). So I reinstall the Visual studio and DirectX SDK. Since this moment nothing works. I can compile all my projects fine, but when I run the program I simply have nothing on the screen but this runtime error. The erros has no number or anything, when I debug it It points me towards the creation of my d3ddevice. I reinstall the driver of my card, reinstall visual studio, reinstall directX (several times) nothing works. It seems that my problem is with D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING and D3DDEVTYPE_HAL. I know that because I run demos provided by microsoft however I can only run the program using software processing, I won't even talk here about the expetional fps ... I'd like to know if anybody here has ideas, suggestion or why not the miracle solution. I add the link to my VGA driver : http://www.maxdata.co.uk/services/fm/index.jsp?folderId=124278 I repeat again that it was working before so directX 9.0c is supported by the notebook. Thanks PS: Sorry for the bother I didn't know where to put this problem on the forum so I chose this topic.
Advertisement
I forgot to tell you, DirectX SDK August 2007 is installed on my computer, I didn't know if the March 2008 included 9.0c
You can't just blithly tell the driver to do hardware vertex processing if it doesn't support it. In fact, a lot of integrated graphics cards don't support hardware vertex prcessing at all.

You need to check if the DevCaps member of the D3DCAPS9 struct contains the D3DDEVCAPS_HWTRANSFORMANDLIGHT flag, and also if the HAL device supports the shader version you need (If you're using shaders) by using the VertexShaderVersion member of the D3DCAPS9 struct.

You also MUST check the return value for all of the important functions (Where I define important as a function that returns a pointer or returns some data that you then rely on - E.g. GetCaps(), Create*(), etc). If you don't, and you assume it succeeds (As you seem to be doing with CreateDevice) and it doesn't, you're likely to crash your app with the error you're seeing.
Thanks for all the tip.
However I am sure that my video card support harware processing because before my reinstallation it was working fine.
Do you think it can be my driver version ?
The driver is what answers the questions D3D asks regarding GPU capabilities, so if something's wrong that would be it.

BTW, the March '08 SDK still includes D3D9.
Thanks I will try to seek for a good driver and get back here to tell you what happened.

Thanks both of you for infos and tips
Hi

As promised I came to tell you news about my little problem.
I fixed it, I thank those who took time to help me in my time of need (as usual over here ^^).

The problem was that I am a morron, while downloding driver after driver I just remember that I have this cd where I copied all driver installed in my previous windows installation.
So I just reinstall the driver of the IGP. I saw that the driver was exactly the same that I downloaded from the constructor website.

So I just opened up DirectX control panel and saw that my problem was that I didn't allow Harware Accelaration ...

I know , I know T_T

So thanks again and see you soon I guess lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement