Signature adoptables [HELP!]

Started by
4 comments, last by elijahtheworm 15 years, 11 months ago
What type of coding do I need to learn and what is the basic framework of making a unique adoptable for signatures that can level up... It would be like poke plushies ( www.pokeplushies.com ) Can someone please help me? ^^ [Edited by - elijahtheworm on May 8, 2008 10:16:59 PM]
Advertisement
http://xkcd.com/178/
Quote:Original post by elijahtheworm
...framework of making a unique adoptable for signatures that can level up...

That took me a while to understand... "I know what the words mean, but why have they been put together like that!!!" ;)

So you want to make those little pics that people put in their sigs, and after a period of time they grow up, and stuff?

For starters, you'll need some web-hosting (if you've got DSL or some other 'always on' connection you could host it yourself if you want to leave your PC on 24/7).

As for coding, you'll have to learn a web-programming (server) language, like PHP, Python, JSP, ASP.NET, etc...

You might also need a database (e.g. MySQL) to store the info on everyone's creatures, and in that case you would have to learn SQL to access the database. This is optional though - you could embed all of the info on the creature into the URL that you give to people, but this would allow them to hack their creatures. So if you're worried about people "cheating", then you should use a database.

w3 schools might be a good location to start learning about the different technologies involved.
Thanks!
I will definitly check that website out...

I only know HTML, C++, and Basic...
So it seems like I need to learn somemore...

does anyone have any suggestions for books on the subject's mentioned in the latter post?

EDIT: Don't I need a server program to use SQL...
are there any free ones or ones for under one hundred dollars...

I'm on a tight budget but I know quite a few people who think it's a good idea...
If you're using PHP or Python for the server code, both include SQLite, or there is also MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird...
I downloaded Python awhile ago and the only tutorials I could find where to make it into calculator's....

I will probably make it in PHP due to the fact that I already know a little PHP...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement