wii sdk

Started by
8 comments, last by muk 15 years, 11 months ago
I wanted to know about the Nintendo Wii SDK. What are the tools and libraries that come with the SDK? Also, i heard that Wii uses lot of off the shelp tools supplied by Intel. Is this true? Does Intel make tools for Nintendo? Thanks so much.
Advertisement
All developers should be bound by the NDA. Wario World might help.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by muk
I wanted to know about the Nintendo Wii SDK. What are the tools and libraries that come with the SDK? Also, i heard that Wii uses lot of off the shelp tools supplied by Intel. Is this true? Does Intel make tools for Nintendo?
Thanks so much.

As was mentioned, this is covered under their NDA.

Why are you asking? Does it really matter who makes the tools? I mean, what difference is it to the programmers who use it if they came from company A or company B? Does their usage really matter if they were developed in a shiny glass building in downtown LA or a sweatshop in southeast Asia?

What is the real question you are trying ask?
All I know is that the Wii SDK costs like $10,000 and you of course have to be approved by Nintendo, so not only will you need the money, you will need to prove/show your talent, have a team, a bunch of other legal stuff and alot of paper signing. So...Have fun if you're trying to get a Wii SDK.
-----------------------------------------"With the mind, anything is possible"
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, out of all the major consoles out there, Nintendo is the strictest when it comes to quality of games that get released for their console. Be sure to keep that in mind.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
It seems there is an influx of people asking about these SDK's recently. Please bear in mind kids, this is not something you will be able to find or download on the internet. These things require specialized hardware for starters, a normal console you buy in walmart will not work. And you wont be able to, not matter how hard you scour your sources, find the official SDK's for any of these systems.
Quote:Original post by Spodi
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, out of all the major consoles out there, Nintendo is the strictest when it comes to quality of games that get released for their console. Be sure to keep that in mind.

I wouldn't say you're horribly mistaken, as none of the first-party companies are happy when you put crap out on their consoles, but over the last couple years, Nintendo seems to allow the most crap onto shelves. This is undoubtedly due to the lower costs of making terrible games on Wii vs the 360 or PS3, but, honestly, Nintendo's gotta get a handle on that.

All companies are pretty strict in terms of quality with respect to bugs though.

As for the Wii's SDK, just make PC games. Nintendo isn't going to allow a nobody developer to license their hardware without at the very least having a very compelling product to put on the system.

There are libraries out there to interface your PC with a Wii remote, so using those to create an interesting game experience is probably the best way to garner some attention.
The influx is likely due to the WiiWare release. Nintendo is claiming they're going to be letting lots more small developers work with the hardware, and has described the tools as being "practically free". They also claim they're going to be pretty much accepting any project as a downloadable WiiWare project, checking for quality of the software, not the game idea.

It would be nice to release the software though. I got a lot more exicted about console development when I realized for a quick download and $50 I could make games for my 360.
-----------------------------------------------“The best, most affordable way to save the most lives and improve overall health is to increase the number of trained local, primary healthcare workers.”Learn how you can help at www.ghets.org
Quote:Original post by Spodi

I've actually heard that Microsoft has some of the toughest requirements around for getting something on their platform. That's just hearsay, though. [smile]
Thank you all for replying to my post. I am an analyst doing research on the video game console industry. Specifically I am trying to get an understanding of the various gaming platoforms and their development environments. I thought that you developer's opinion would add great value to my findings. Your answers have given me a good understanding of the gaming industry.
Thanks so much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement