Sign in to follow this  
AuliX

Questions about 3D game programming

Hi! I don't know if I posted in right section, but I think this one should be fine for this. I'm 14 years old and I'm polish. Since I am 12 I've been scripting for CSS - first in ESS (EventScripts Shell), then after EventScripts 2.0, I'm scripting for CSS in Python. I know some basic requirements such as how it all works, what variables are and the rest of these so basic stuff. I'm well-equiped in a bit old Visual C++ 6.0 Enterprise and Visual C++ 2008 Express, however I preffered the 6.0 for learning C++ syntax. All I know about C++ is syntax and some basic stuff... Again. I would like to learn how to make wrappers for DirectX 9 games. My friend told me that if I want to learn how to code 3D things then I should start at wrappers because I can apply my changes to current game image and see changes immidietaly. Then he redirected me there ;) So, first I would like to know if I can apply EdgeAA on game which doesn't support FSAA. The game is Gothic 3, I don't like it, it doesn't work on my PC and etc. Who cares if I like it? I would like to help all these people begging for AA, but I don't know where do I start - simply links to helpful topics to start making that "wrapper" or EdgeAA (isn't it a post-screen effect?) or whatever could help me. Thanks for reading and hello :)

I don't know if I'd recommend writing a wrapper if you're not very familiar with C++. The techniques needed tend to be tricky and require decent low-level knowledge of not just D3D but also how Windows works. You'll probably spend much of your time working out tricks and hacks then you will learning important core principles of graphics. Personally I'd suggest trying out XNA with C# since at this point you haven't really learned C++ anyway, and they both share similar syntax. With XNA you get a really nice environment that'll let you work out basic tutorials and samples, and then use a convenient framework when its time to actually make games.

If you do go ahead with making that wrapper...EdgeAA is indeed a post-processing technique. However performing it requires that you have access to a depth buffer for the entire screen. Unfortunately there's no vendor-independent way to access the actual device depth-buffer, so the most common technique to render depth to a color texture using multiple render-targets or a separate pass. Once you have that, it's just a matter of selectively blurring the screen by using an edge-detection algorithm on the depth buffer (sobel or something similar works well enough).

That XNA app is very cool & easy to use ;) Thank you!

And you must be right about C# & C++. The idea of jumping from C# to C++ after getting more "ready" is very good. Thanks :)