Sign in to follow this  
pi_man

[.net] XNA Graphics Engine

So i've been searching the internet for the past couple of days trying rather unfruitfully to learn how to make an engine for xna. I have always been very interested in the subject but have never been able to make one. I tried using the Hazy Mind tutorials however i had some troubles with the HLSL code. So i was wondering if anyone around here knows of a tutorial which shows me how to make an engine for XNA. A graphics specific engine would be preferable but just anything that shows me how its done would be great thanks in advance.

thank you for your responses.

i have made both 2d and 3d games in xna before so i know how to do that. and i have made clones of those really cool games that i (rather sadly) still like (then again, i AM still a kid).

it is really the engine that i am interested in, not specifically for making a game, just because i am so fascinated by them. so if anybody knows of any tutorials or books that would be great.

Quote:
Original post by Darragh
Quote:
Original post by EvanWeeks
1. Write Games Not Engines

Couldn't agree more with that article. An engine is only a means to an end, not an end in itself. Think of your game and what it needs to do first; then think about writing a framework which will support that game. Then you'll have an engine..

If you want to write a game purely for the purpose of the end product, then yes, write a game and not an engine, but people seem to leave out how educational creating your own engine can be. ;) To me, for my current projects, a game is just a side-effect of creating an engine and a means of testing out the engine. If I actually get far enough to make the game, then sweet, its like a free game! :)

Quote:
Original post by Darragh
it is really the engine that i am interested in, not specifically for making a game, just because i am so fascinated by them. so if anybody knows of any tutorials or books that would be great.

"An engine" is incredibly vague. What kind of engine? Whats the focus? You might want to take an existing game, think, "Oh, thats what I want my engine to be able to do!", then start implementing features that engine has. Start from the very basics (rendering, animations, moving cameras, textures, etc) and just move up from there. If something looks too hard to implement, just move on to another feature until you're ready. If something looks possible to add but you are running into walls here and there, ask a specific question and we'll try to answer. :)