Problem with variable being set to 0

Started by
6 comments, last by alvaro 15 years, 11 months ago
blah
Advertisement
fscanf(fp, "%hu %c %c %c %c\n", &Player.condition.health, &Player.condition.action, &Player.condition.hunger, &Player.condition.thirst, &Player.condition.fatigue);

Player.condition.action, Player.condition.hunger, Player.condition.thirst and Player.condition.fatigue are chars, not ints.

EDIT: No, that won't work, it'll try and read characters rather than numbers. This is why I hate the C I/O functions. Try this:
unsigned int action;unsigned int hunger;unsigned int thirst;unsigned int fatigue;fscanf(fp, "%hu %u %u %u %u\n", &Player.condition.health, &action, &hunger, &thirst, &fatigue);Player.condition.action = action;Player.condition.hunger = hunger;Player.condition.thirst = thirst;Player.condition.fatigue = fatigue;
Σnigma
You don't need in fscanf \n.

Memory leaks don't effect other variables, you just run out of memory after some time. You probably mean a buffer overflow.
This exactly what data breakpoints are for - you get told when data changes. I'd suggest setting a data breakpoint on the variable that gets set to 0 so you can what line of code causes it to be set to 0.
Sorry, I scribbled out my (brief) explanation along with my incorrect answer earlier. The issue is your scanf format string says to read an unsigned short followed by four unsigned ints. The problem is, your last four parameters aren't ints, they're chars. Assuming a normal x86 platform your struct memory layout (unpacked) will be something like:
 +------Player.condition------+  +------Player.position-------+/                              \/                              \ [00][01][02][03][04][05][06][07][08][09][10][11][12][13][14][15]\      /\      / |   |   |   |   |   |  \      / |   |   |   | health padding  |hunger |fatigue|   |  room_no  |  ypos |padding                 |       |       |   |           |       |               action  thirst    |padding       xpos  rotation                                 |                              position
The first format code will cause scanf to read an unsigned short and write it starting at byte zero (&Player.condition.health), so this will write to bytes zero and one. The second format code will cause scanf to read an unsigned int and write it starting at byte 4 (&Player.condition.action). The problem is that the thing at byte 4 is not an unsigned int, but an unsigned char, so this is undefined behaviour. What will happen in practice on x86 is that bytes 4, 5, 6 and 7 will be interpreted as being an unsigned int and the value will be written there. The same problem happens with the next three format codes, causing bytes 5, 6, 7 and 8 to be written (which overwrites Player.position.position for the first time), then bytes 6, 7, 8 and 9 (overwriting Player.position.position again) and finally bytes 7, 8, 9 and 10 (overwriting Player.position.position a final time).

Σnigma
May we ask why all those struct members are declared as unsigned char or unsigned short?

It looks like you've chosen to use the smallest type you can as an optimisation. Many of us here at one point or another have once done that. However we've since learned that unless you have many thousands of these in memory at once, you'll actually get better performance by simply using ints. The reason is that in order to do anything with those variables, e.g. add 5 to health, the short first gets extended to an int, and then it adds 5, and then it gets cut back down to a short for storage. If it was an int to begin with then the compiled app would just add 5 and that's it.

Note also that if you do store types of mixed sizes in a struct, that you'll get better performance, or less wasted space due to padding, if you declare your variables in the order of largest to smallest. In this case, putting room_number before position is all you'd do. But as mentioned, you're probably better off making them all ints anyway.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
The problem is that you are reading a bunch of values that are not of type `unsigned int' using fscanf("%u",...). fscanf will go ahead and write a whole unsigned int in the memory location you give it, even if it doesn't fit in your variable. On some platforms (e.g., Sparc) your program would crash because of a misaligned memory access.

Make everything int, as has been suggested already and which I also recommend, or read into temporary int variables that can then be explicitly casted down to the smaller types.

EDIT: I know I didn't add much new to the conversation, but I think the reason why the code wasn't working needed to be stated a little more clearly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement