A little help here

Started by
15 comments, last by Warlord_Shaun 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi guys! Im a novice programmer and am looking for some directions. Im pretty good at programming in C++ on the DOS platform. But I think for an MMORPG to run on the Windows platform I would require a good base over programming in the Win32 API. I dont have much time to do this but I have a time till the 22nd of August of this year. After wich if I do not finish this project, IM DOOMED!! Im planning an MMORPG of average 2D graphics. Which will resembles a 3D enviornment like that of the first AOE (age of empires). It'll be completely free to play with a post-apocalytic cum survival theme. Really looking forward for directions please.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Warlord_Shaun
Hi guys! Im a novice programmer and am looking for some directions. Im pretty good at programming in C++ on the DOS platform. But I think for an MMORPG to run on the Windows platform I would require a good base over programming in the Win32 API. I dont have much time to do this but I have a time till the 22nd of August of this year. After wich if I do not finish this project, IM DOOMED!!

Im planning an MMORPG of average 2D graphics. Which will resembles a 3D enviornment like that of the first AOE (age of empires). It'll be completely free to play with a post-apocalytic cum survival theme.

Really looking forward for directions please.

The stock answer to beginners here is "don't make an MMORPG as your first and probably second or third project. Period.". And that is to beginners without a deadline. I'm afraid to say that to accomplish this you'd probably need to be so badass that you wouldn't need to ask for directions. If you were making a 2D sidescroller I'd still be hesitant to suggest you could do it.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

I'm assuming this is for college or something? Why would you set such an impossible (in your circumstance) goal?

Buddy, if you were so awesome as to finish an MMO in 3 months without prior knowledge and/or experience, we would be asking advice from you, not the other way around. In other words, YOU'RE DOOMED!
I dont have much time to do this but I have a time till the 22nd of August of this year. After wich if I do not finish this project, IM DOOMED!!

Why? Sounds like homework.

I dont have much time to do this but I have a time till the 22nd of August of this year. After wich if I do not finish this project, IM DOOMED!!

Why, exactly, would you be doomed?

As others have said, there's nothing stopping you from attempting to make a MMORPG, but don't be upset if you don't finish it. If you want to get into graphics programming, it would probably be more efficient to learn a dedicated graphics API, rather than the raw Win32 API. SDL is a good choice for beginners, but there's also OpenGL and DirectX.
OK guys here's the plot. Right now I am in Secunderbad but, this is not where I want to be! In case if I am to live in Delhi on my own, I will need money wont I? as it is I have been wanting to create an MMORPG for years now. Im in 12th grade and I want to get back to my friends in Delhi and graduate with them.

I really need this, there must be something I could do. I am willing to compromise on the graphics. I am creating a 2D game. Something that will resemble Age of Empires 1 in graphics. Dont you think this will bw possible in three months? a 2D game?

Eargerly awaiting your replies.
2D RTS in 3 months... Depends on how many hours a day you can dedicate to it. It's possible but you'd have A LOT to learn about the API and design (GUI, game logic, etc.) in general.

Edit: I fail to see how this will earn you money to move though.

"post-apocalytic cum survival theme"

Oh the images in my head...
It'll be completely free to play with a post-apocalytic cum survival theme.

In case if I am to live in Delhi on my own, I will need money wont I?

So, you want to make an MMORPG, in three months, that's free to play, but will some how give you the money you require to move to Delhi? Have you thought about getting a job for three months and earning some money - then whilst you're earning money you could use your spare time to look into games programming and then everyone's a winner!

James

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement