• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
beloxx89

OpenGL 2d OpenGl backbuffer redrawig

This topic is 3784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. Today, my problem concerns a 2d game's screen. Up until now, I ve been using Display Lists to redraw 21x21 image tiles each frame. It seems very inefficent and therefore Im seeking a new way to do this. Is there a way to, instead of redrawing the whole back buffer image, change a small part of it? Any ideas/solutions will be appreciated.

Advertisement
Have you actually measured how long it's taking? If all you're doing is drawing a few hundred quads per frame, any half-decent graphics card should be able to handle it in practically no time. Remember, premature optimization is the root of all evil!

The fps measures 90. However Im facing such problems as
-reduced fps at fullscreen (down to 60),
-reduced fps when the window is covered by such things as the windows 'language switcher' which also flickers while its over the game window. ( I checked with other 2d games and the language bar does not reduce fps despite it flickering).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!