Sign in to follow this  
Blarkage

An untapped Genre, and an idea of a possible game.

Iv'e been thinking about a few types of games I, as a kid(i'm 13), would like to play. As i thought about it i came to the conclusion that i wanted to play some sort of a zombie horror survival. When i went online, to the store, and viewed magazines i found there were almost none that were any good or worth playing. Recently i've found a decent one called Dead Frontier, its not all that great and so i've been starting to think about what i would like in a game about zombie survival. I read an article that covered some of it, but then i read some more and found out that the company wasn't even going to bother making. The article talks about starting in a tiny hotel in a small city, you and a team of survivors managed to meet up there, you have a hunger meter and zombies have found out where you are, you will need to keep the hotel safe and get food and ammunition for guns at the same time, so you will have a team of eight and you will have to send four men out to go get food and ammo and four men need to stay to keep the hotel from being overrun. Also while doing this there are seven other teams of eight out there that you can choose to help, if there in trouble, or just leave to die. This seems like a very good idea and there are really no other games like it. Some ideas i would like to add about this project(i hope you guys work on it because im only 13 and dont have much experience). I would like for their to be multiple buildings, each with stuff inside of it, for ex. one house had a gang member living in it who had an uzi, or something like that. Also when you use a microphone depending on how far from each other, in the game, depends on how loud or quiet you hear the guy talking. Also you can form an alliance with another team, if you can find them, then you can move to a bigger building, like a store or a mall, and try to defend all, or part of it. The zombies should run about 80% as fast as you, but there should be enough of them you cant simply run by them. I want multiple maps, the more the merrier, and perhaps something realistic like a part of NY, NY. Also when you start your multiplayer account you choose a class/profession, for example your guy was a police man or a doctor who survived(other possible classes/professions are thief, can get into buildings better and search them better, computer technician, can run a security system, if the building has one, and with the help of a doctor to get a zombie sample can make a device that tells when a zombie is near, construction worker, can smelt down metals to make bullets and can make metal into pieces to help secure a building). When a person gets bit a doctor can work on them, if the doctor gets there in time, and can cut the disease out of your skin before you turn into a zombie. A system rates players before the game so they can determine who they play against so its fair. However it should be some what like a normal city and should not have unlimited ammunition or food. But your construction worker can make some bullets for you, depending on what metals you can find will determine the bullets, and he will need to go to the gun shop and bring back a bullet making and filling device, and there are also farms on the outside of the town, unless its NY, NY or any other big city, that you can get food from and plant food in that you can harvest, if you live long enough, and use(i personally dont think the plant and harvest idea is very good but i want the communities ideas and opinions on it). Also if you can get to a radio station and have your computer technician work on it to make it work, you can call for an air drop of supplies, the supplies should only be able to be called two times per team. There should be an assortment of weapons from pistols to shotguns, maybe one rocket launcher or two if you can break into the police building and get into their gun stash. How To Win How to win should simply be last team standing, but you cant kill other people, that would make it too easy simply to go out and shoot the other teams so your team is last alive. If one man survives his whole team gets some sort of reward, for example next time the man that lived will have a gun to start with. Also, i think their should be some sort of a level system and skill system so players have something to look forward to with the end of a round. Depending on a class/professions level determines how fast they can make stuff, and determine how good they are at their jobs, for example a computer technician can break a police stations password lock depending on his level. I hope you like my idea, and I really hope that someone will start to work on it(but I really doubt anyone will). Thanks for reading this and I hope you see the untapped potential of this genre as well. Please comment and tell me new ideas and thoughts, or complaints about this idea. [Edited by - Blarkage on May 14, 2008 8:25:48 PM]

no-one's going to make it for you... why not start learning how to program?

sounds like it could be a good game, if it was implemented correctly. it also sounds like you're pretty sure of how you'd want it to be implemented. motivation?

Try "Road to Fiddler's Green", it's a zombie survival fps in the "Night of the Living Dead" universe.

Also, it won't be long until Left4Dead is released, think of CounterStrike, but instead of Terrorists vs. Cops, it's Zombies vs. Survivors. The game has different character classes (at least on the Zombie side) and longer missions.

If anyone knows more, there is no Zombie game I couldn't enjoy at least a bit. Well, except for MMOs, too many punks and too much wasted time ;).

Alright sweet, your probably right funkymunky but i still wanted to see if i could get someone to do it for me, and i will start working on it a little bit but i doubt ill get very far, even though i want the game to go all the way into multiplayer and beyond.

Also thanks for the idea of the game ill check it out, thanks.

yes Resident Evil and Dead Rising do fall under these categories, but they do not have the sandbox survival style (sandbox style means you can do whatever whenever, kind of like the GTA series). I think a sandbox zombie game would bring a lot of attention and be played by gamers.

I was thinking of making a game like this, I haven't started anything yet becausce i've been busy with school work and stuff. I was thinking of starting it over the summer holidays, learning code along the way. Also depends on my friend who would be doing the modeling/animation and wheter we agree on this concept. Another thing is that Left 4 Dead would completly overshadow this, hopefully it'd be released a year or two after.

Anyway, i think your idea is pretty good, it'd be great if the maps were large cities with random weapon+supply placement to stop players running straight for the sniper rifle, but smart players would be rewarded for looking in logical places for weapons. I.E The Police Station, or the Crack House. I also think players should only carry 1 Primary Weapon to avoid players hoarding, and maybe you could only pick up the better guns after killing X amount of zombies to stop the less usefull players grabbing the guns while the good players are getting eaten.

I'd prefer it if the players didn't spawn in groups, but started in random houses, and would have to band together using some sort of radar. The zombie numbers should increasce as the game goes on so eventually players must hide in a larger building as you said. But I think having players all go to the same building everytime would get old very fast, so maybe sometimes you go to the mall, and it's full of zombies, but other times it's ready to be used.

It'd be boring if you were dead forever so you would respawn as a zombie, however you will have a motivation to kill your former friends becausce killing two of them will allow you to be "reborn" as a human.

I guess surviving for a time limit would be fine, but I think it'd be better if a helicopter/boat/convoy appeared after that timers up, and the players would have to get to it. It'd be more fun if it appeared in an area that the players would have been unlikely to set up in so you have to make a desperate fight through the streets to the objective. Maybe the use of vechiles would be good here, for example you all pile into a bus, Dawn of the Dead remake style and make a break for the evac point.

Well, I think i've mumbled on long enough now, so i'll let you all tear it to shreads now.

EDIT: Also how long were you thinking rounds should last? Long=Boring for people that died at the start (5 min grace period maybe?), but Short=No Depth and emersion.

Well I think you made several good points and ideas that i had not thought about when i was writing the original log. Weapons not spawning in the same spot, needing a certain number of kills to use a gun seems a little much because if a party dies and theirs just two noobs left their going to need some weapons and if their stuck with melee weapons they might as well try to just keep running. A convoy/helicopter/boat escape from the level seems like a very good idea for the game, as for the time limit i think it should be as long as a player can survive(so the rounds are long enough to enjoy) but when you die you can either become a zombie or just leave the game. I think after 10-20 minutes into the game they should be told via radio or some other means of communication(which theyve aqcuired in a building) that a rescue is coming, and then their given a general idea of where it will be, then they can load up in their war buses and make a sprint to the convoy, then here is where you will find out if you have friends or not, example: the convoy has came and someone reached it before you, they now have the option of telling the pilot of the helicopter that A)their are more survivors wait for them or B) everyones dead take off.
if the copter leaves you behind you lose.

just some more ideas and good luck with the game i havent been working on it very much so i hope yours goes very good.

keep the replies coming guys i love reading your ideas and suggestions.

Yeah, I'm not using the kill limit on weapons anymore. a few more things I thought of adding was the ability to pick up physics objects and move them infront of doors, but if the object is too heavy when you try and pick it up you push it a little way instead. To counteract impenatrable fort's, all objects that can be moved are destroyable.

The idea and concept is old, but you are right that there are not many "professional" games in the store today that are built in this manner. There are some simpler online ones, for example last stand 2 (http://armorgames.com/play/1443/the-last-stand-2).

"Give me enough time and cash and I'll make it happen" ;)

Alright thanks for listening to my ideas LOOY and trasseltass the idea is a little old but i think people would enjoy playing it because, a game like this has never been done in a professional version in 3d with multiplayer and all, thats why i think it should be made and why it will get a lot of attention.

Wow this sounds like the ULTIMATE game for me! I love the movies! Dawn of the dead, 28 days/weeks later, resident evil, etc...

I am also a big fan of the "hold the fort" type games :) So your idea is a combination of my favourite movies and favourite games.

I would love to do a project like this!

yeah, im glad you like it, this is exactly the type of game i would like so im gonna assume you would like/love dead rising you should check it out and also recently ive come across a game that is not made yet but it seems exactly like what you and I would like to play, its called Exanimus
http://www.exanimusthegame.com/ theres the link

keep the comments coming and i hope someone makes a game/project off of some of these ideas

Exanimus could become really cool! But what I gather from the website is that it is in a very early stage. So it will be a long time before it will be released, if ever.
It doesn't even have any screenshots yet, no pictures of models, nothing. Just some concept art.
If Exanimus ever does see the light of day I will definately play it!

I'd also like to attempt making this game myself, but I do not know how to program multiplayer games yet :(

Maybe I can make a singleplayer "sandbox" type zombie survivor as practice :)

Quote:
Original post by LOOY
It'd be boring if you were dead forever so you would respawn as a zombie, however you will have a motivation to kill your former friends becausce killing two of them will allow you to be "reborn" as a human.

This actually won't work. If you have no other method for making players human, then this is nothing more than a pyramid scheme and, like all pyramid schemes, it will collapse under its own weight rather quickly. Thinking about this, I've become somewhat convinced that there has to be a permanent, AI-driven zombie force augmented by those human players who have been killed by the AI.

One idea I've had is that there is an antidote -- but it cannot be given directly to human players because they will simply not attack their human friends in order to be cured. Instead, the antidote must be administered to the AI zombies (who won't make it so easy) and in doing so, we allow the next zombi-fied human player to come back as a human after the next time he is killed. We can tweak this to some ratio of zombie-cures to human-resurrections that works.

Now, we address the issue of making the zombified-players behave adversarially towards the human players. Since we cannot reward them with resurrection, we must find some other reward for them. You could work in some sort of skills/experience system, but it would be difficult to balance a system to reward zombie-ism that doesn't short-change the advancement of human players. Instead, we can allow them to earn "buffs" for their next resurection as a human -- Better weapons, extra ammo, armor, speed/strength boosts, etc. When they've been killed and their turn to be resurrected comes, they are given a choice: come back as a human, with the buffs they have earned, or continue as a zombie (with some zombie-buffs) and go to the back of the queue. Each time their turn to be resurrected comes up, they are given a chance to switch over to the human side with the buffs they've earned -- However, each time they chose to continue as a zombie, the rate at which they earn human buffs was decreased by some ratio (and correspondingly, the rate at which they earn zombie buffs was increased). Of course, human players can also earn buffs for playing well.

My assumption through all of this is that, for every human player, there are a corresponding number of AI zombies, lets say there is one AI zombie for every human player. If no humans are zombies then the odds are 1-1, if half the human players have become zombies, then the odds become 1-3 in favor of the zombie horde, if 2/3 of the players are zombies, then the odds are 1-5, and so on.

because of how this system works, it encourages people to play zombie when the number of zombies are down, and to play human when the number of zombies is high, because their rate of advancement will naturally slow as more people join their side. I would estimate that the human-zombie ratio will typically hover around 1-2 or 1-3 in favor of the zombies, which sounds about right for the action to be consistent and dangerous but not overwhelmingly so (most of the time).

I forgot to mention AI zombies didn't I? I meant to include them, my idea was that all players are human to start with, but when they get killed they join the zombie team and supplement them, obviously player controlled ones would be much more agile, and they'd be able to solve problems where the Ai would have to resort to cruder tactics.

I don't like your antidote idea, but I do agree with rewarding zombies with upgrades next round, maybe less than you'd get for surviving but still worth trying for. I thought about my ressurection idea and decided it'd kind of ruin the atmosphere if you had humans "spawning" in during gameplay, it'd also suck for them as they'd be stuck with the starting pistol or whatever and just get zombified again.

Wow i just read through your post Ravyne and i have to say, its brilliant. I would prefer the antidote method over the "reborn" method just as LOOY said, and the ratio of zombies to humans does seem like a good idea maybe 25 zombies to one human because, it is going to be a big map and you wont be fighting all 25 zombies at one time. The only problem with this antidote idea is, where could you find a logical place to hide it?, and How would you administer it?. On top of this i was planning on hopefully having a skills/experience system, if you see in my first blog there will be classes and i was planning on requiring say (for example) your doctor needs to be level to administer the antidote. or something

Exanimus is in a very early state and i hope it goes far and doesnt crash because, otherwise all we have to look forward to is the linear plotline of left4dead, if it does come out we will have a MMO zombie survival, and if you look at the map which has recently come out you will see the area to roam is very big.

Blarkage,
When you talk about skill/experience, you are talking mmorpg. I thought you were initially proposing a regular online game.

If you make a regular online one, you could choose different game modes.
One mode would be to be in a building/neigbourhood with like 7 other players and have to fend off incoming AI zombies.
Another game mode could be playing the zombie horde to try and kill the humans.
And then a mode to mix both.

But if you want the skill/experience systems to work you are talking mmo! Which means only 1 (HUGE) map and a game that never ends. WoW-style.

Exanimus will be the latter, which I think is awesome :)

If you want to make the game yourself, or have a team on this forum do it however, you have a better chance with the first option. A regular online game is alot easier to program then a MMO.

So, to clarify, my earlier post was slanted towards more of an MMO or semi-persistent game world, not a round-based affair. In a persistent game, there isn't really a win condition -- its just survival for some period of time. In a round-based game, there needs to be some way to win -- kill all zombies, infect all humans.

There are also a fair number of concessions that have to be made regarding the number of AI zombies/player due to server-side AI processing and the bandwidth overhead of transferring their movements over the network. Keep in mind also, that in my persistent world, when an AI zombie dies they just respawn somewhere else -- there is a never-ending supply of AI zombies -- although, actually, having some large but finite supply of AI zombies gives the humans a win-condition, just have some ratio of active zombies per human as discussed above.

Response to Viperr:

You are true that making the game with a skill/experience system would be more WOW-style and probably never ending, but to keep players interested and wanting to get to the next level i think that is what you would have to do, however now ive got controversy between myself about what i want to do with the game, make it WOW-style or just do it kind of like an Age of Empires game. Either way it would probably be good but i just cant decided between regular game or WOW-style.

Response to Ravyne:

Your post really seems to continue on where your last post left off, i think what i will do with the game is have multiple large cities, and players will be put in a random one, and i think instead of a skill/experience system i will have a ranking system that judges how well a player does and then averages out all the players participating in the game rank, then it will determine a city depending on how many weapons or food is in the city will make it harder/easier so that way noobs will play in cities with some zomb's and lots of food and guns and pros will play in cities with LOTS of zomb's and some guns and food. I guess i will plan on trying to make it a regular type game. I just need to figure out how to make a multiplayer system. XD

-blarkage, keep postin :)

Alright I am giving it a go.

I need a project to improve my skills, and this will do. Weather or not it will be MMO or Online doesnt matter right now. Once I have all the buildings, models, guns, zombies etc, and the rendering engine done, I can always convert the game to either type.

I am building my own engine from scratch, using c++ and directX 9.

C++ is a very populair programming language. Most professional games are coded in C++. This forum has a whole section on C++ (a workshop). You can read all about it.

Since you are 13 and have no programming experience, you are probably vastly underestimating how hard it is to make games. Not to mention online games.

Blender is modelling program, not a programming language. You use it create character models and building and such. All the graphics.
C++ is used to actually make a game with those models.

Hmmm... sounds a lot like GameInformer's article about the new Resident Evil game...

But anyway, like Viperrr said, making a game like this would be somewhat challenging and would take a ton of time, but why wait until someone starts making the game for you (to be honest, I don't think anyone would just make a game for someone lickidy-split) and learn how to program in C++. Heck, I stated programming when I was 11. It's like learning a new language (And it is a language, a programming language! Ha! I crack myself up...). At first, getting your basic greetings down is all you need for a while, but soon you'll need to speak complex and dynamic sentences, but it comes to you almost naturally (sounds geeky I know).
But it's well worth it.

Well, there's my two cents.

yeah i went through and checked out c++ and messed around with it learning through tutorials, eventually i decided i would just mess with it later and ill probably retry it some time closer to college

also id like to put that im not underestimating how hard it is to make games(i mess around on blender just for fun to see what i can make) i asked someone to make the game for me on the first blog for a reason. :)