An untapped Genre, and an idea of a possible game.

Started by
104 comments, last by Zooch 15 years, 9 months ago
Alright I am giving it a go.

I need a project to improve my skills, and this will do. Weather or not it will be MMO or Online doesnt matter right now. Once I have all the buildings, models, guns, zombies etc, and the rendering engine done, I can always convert the game to either type.

I am building my own engine from scratch, using c++ and directX 9.
Advertisement
what exactly is c++ i use a game design system called blender and i dont really like it all that much so any other system would be nice
C++ is a very populair programming language. Most professional games are coded in C++. This forum has a whole section on C++ (a workshop). You can read all about it.

Since you are 13 and have no programming experience, you are probably vastly underestimating how hard it is to make games. Not to mention online games.

Blender is modelling program, not a programming language. You use it create character models and building and such. All the graphics.
C++ is used to actually make a game with those models.
Hmmm... sounds a lot like GameInformer's article about the new Resident Evil game...

But anyway, like Viperrr said, making a game like this would be somewhat challenging and would take a ton of time, but why wait until someone starts making the game for you (to be honest, I don't think anyone would just make a game for someone lickidy-split) and learn how to program in C++. Heck, I stated programming when I was 11. It's like learning a new language (And it is a language, a programming language! Ha! I crack myself up...). At first, getting your basic greetings down is all you need for a while, but soon you'll need to speak complex and dynamic sentences, but it comes to you almost naturally (sounds geeky I know).
But it's well worth it.

Well, there's my two cents.
Holy crap, you can read!
yeah i went through and checked out c++ and messed around with it learning through tutorials, eventually i decided i would just mess with it later and ill probably retry it some time closer to college

also id like to put that im not underestimating how hard it is to make games(i mess around on blender just for fun to see what i can make) i asked someone to make the game for me on the first blog for a reason. :)
I was planning to do something like this for my 2nd year Programming project at uni. Other assignments got me swamped and I only had time to do the engine and knock up a pretty lame zombie shooter demo.

Your idea sounds pretty good, I'm not convinced it's an untapped genre though, there are hundreds of zombie survival horrors...

I'd definitely give it a shot though, look into creating a Games Design Document.

http://www.hysteriagaming.com/storage/zombie_release.zip - if anyone cares. Not proud of it in the least, wish I'd had some more time :(

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

you are true there are lots of zombie survival games, however not many have been done in a sandbox survival style, and i think thats what gamers would really be interested in, and also thanks for trying to take on the game, the more people working on it the better chances of a good game coming out :)
Just filling a list of possible games to make when I finish my final year project. It won't be for a long while yet.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Lol deadstar :D Your zombie shooter cracked me up! Nice demo
Hey Viperrr how long will it take you to build an engine? I was planning on making this game but using something like the C4 engine to save time and blood pressure. Anyway I guess if your making it I'll have to find something different to do. :( Although that really depends on what type you were going to make...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement