• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BreathOfLife

function pointer question

This topic is 3870 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, Im getting a few unresolved externals for some code, and I cant for the life of me figure out why. My googling didnt find anything I could figure out my situation from. Im running VS 2008 on a vista notebook. In a .h there is this:
typedef struct _input_event
{
	_input_event();
	~_input_event();

int type;
	int key;

} INEVENT, *LPINEVENT;

and in the matching .cpp:
void (*EventHandler)(LPINEVENT) = NULL;

//in here some code to set a void func that takes a LPINEVENT

if ( !(old_keystates == new_keystates) )
	{
		LPINEVENT inevent = new INEVENT;
		for (key = 0; key < 256; key++)
		{
			if ( (old_keystates[key] == STATE_UP) && (new_keystates[key] == STATE_DOWN) )
			{
			inevent->type = KEY_PRESS;
			inevent->key = key;
			(*EventHandler)(inevent);
			}
		}
		delete inevent;
	}
}

The two errors Im getting are as follows: 1>SYS_INPUT.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall _input_event::_input_event(void)" (??0_input_event@@QAE@XZ) 1>SYS_INPUT.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall _input_event::~_input_event(void)" (??1_input_event@@QAE@XZ) (naturally and a third telling me there is these 2) I havent used function pointers all that terribly much, but when trying the examples in that "learn c++ in 21 days" they worked fine.

Advertisement
The linker is telling you it cannot find the implementation of struct _input_event's constructor or destructor. Either define them inline in the header, or inside one of your cpp files.

[edit]

Also I thought I'd add some points regarding writing idiomatic C++ code. In C++ we do not typedef structs. This is done in C because subsequent declarations of the struct are required to be prefixed with the struct, keyword and this is considered cumbersome. For example:

struct foo
{
};

struct foo myFoo;

However in C++ you can omit the struct keyword in subsequent declarations: foo myFoo;

Lastly in C++ we (generally) prefer to use function objects over function pointers. Additionally the boost library provides boost::bind and boost::function, which provide a fantastic function objects implementation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!