• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Surgery

atlbase.h

This topic is 3808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I'm using VC++ Express so it doesn't come with the ATL libraries. But the tutorials I am following use it for the CA2W macro. I did some searching and it seems like it used to come with the Windows SDK for free. I downloaded the windows SDK and no atlbase.h that I could find. I was wondering if there was anywhere I could get the ATL, I've looked on the microsoft website and found nothing. Or maybe another way to do what CA2W does with out the ATL (if i understand correctly is converts a normal string to a wide string). Thanks.

Advertisement
Assuming you want to use a char* in a Direct3D function, you can use the 'A' version of function instead of converting to widechar. For example, use D3DXCreateTextureFromFileA to provide a char* filename.

I hope that's what you want. IIRC there's also a Win32 equivalent to CA2W, but I don't remember it offhand.

CA2W is a wrapper around the Win32 MultiByteToWideChar-function, with some extra sugar that handles the memory allocation for you.

Or, if you don't need the Unicode support, you can turn that off (Project Properties -> Character Set) and drop the CA2W

Awesome. D3DXCreateTextureFromFileA() worked perfectly. Thanks for the replies both of you, much appreciated.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!