Sign in to follow this  

A few DirectX questions

This topic is 3502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

1: why does directX use triangles to do stuff instead of just the object that it looks like, for example, sqaures are 2 triangles not just one square. 2: Is DirectX 10 difficult to learn? 3: are there any good DirectX 10 tutorials on the interet, because its kinda hard to learn with the Directx10 SDK lol. 4: If anyone would like to join the programming team I'm in (we need direct3D and physics programmers) please send me a pm and ill get back to you straight away. Thanks. Thanks Sean [Edited by - Googol PL3X on May 13, 2008 5:34:55 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Googol PL3X
1: why does directX use triangles to do stuff instead of just the object that it looks like, for example, sqaures are 2 triangles not just one square.
It's nothing special to Direct3D per-se, more a general characteristic of rasterization based rendering. Grab a good book on software rendering if you want the gory details - Jim Blinn's Corner series are quite easy to read and fairly detailed.

Quote:
2: Is DirectX 10 difficult to learn?
For me, no. For you, maybe?? I've been doing DirectX programming for nearly 10 years so each revision is pretty straight forward but you've given us no indication as to your skill or experience level. Have you done any 3D graphics before? Used Direct3D or OpenGL? What about general programming? Familiar with object-oriented interfaces and aware of how to manage your memory and resources (COM/D3D isn't garbage collected [headshake])?

Quote:
3: are there any good DirectX 10 tutorials on the interet, because its kinda hard to learn with the Directx10 SDK lol.
Which parts of the SDK are you using? The first few tutorials are pretty straight forward and about as easy to follow as many other resources. Otherwise, as per your username, try the Googleplex [wink]

hth
Jack

Ok, to clear a couple things up, I've been learning DirectX9 for about 6 or 7 months and am fairly capable at that so I was just wondering what its like as i havn't really found anything other than the SDK to go by. And as for the SDK, i was looking at things like lighting, geometry shading (that made me go ??) and a couple of other things to do with Direct3D (graphics programming is my main interest in DirectX).

Depending on how you approached the learning of Direct3D9 you'll either find it a breeze to jump up to D3D10 or back to the drawing board.

In a nutshell - how familiar are you with shaders, HLSL and Effect-oriented rendering in Direct3D 9?

D3D10 is a much leaner and cleaner API than D3D9 (which has technology dating back to the D3D6 era, even if the DirectDraw integration is now gone) but the main cost is the removal of the fixed function pipeline. If you're writing your code in D3D9 using lots of SetTransform(), SetTextureStageState() and SetLight() calls you'll find they simply do not exist in D3D10.

If you were smart and jumped straight into SM2/SM3 level shader-oriented D3D9 6 months ago then you'll probably be quite at home with D3D10 and have a big grin on your face as it's basically a better version of what you're used to [grin]

Quote:
geometry shading (that made me go ??)
The GS is an advanced topic so feel free to ignore it until you're more familiar with the technology in general.

hth
Jack

i learnt alot of what i know from www.directxtutorials.com, so basically i added to my knowledge of what i learnt there on the SDK. ive done shaders and a little bit of HLSL but not Effect-oriented rendering. Do you know of any online tutorials that I can learn from?

The guy that made www.directxtutorial.com is planning to start dishing out some DX10 tutorials though I don't know when... Also how the heck did you guys learn DX10? There isn't really a good tutorial for it is there?

Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by pcbrainbuster
The guy that made www.directxtutorial.com is planning to start dishing out some DX10 tutorials though I don't know when... Also how the heck did you guys learn DX10? There isn't really a good tutorial for it is there?

Thanks.

Like Mr. Jeffers already alluded to, once you've learned D3D and the the core concepts of 3D graphics the API really becomes somewhat trivial. In my case I read through the SDK docs and a few other whitepapers to learn the major differences (new capabilities, changes in the driver model, changes in key functions) and then just started working with it and consulting the documentation as necessary.

Right now since there's not much in the way of D3D10 tutorials, I'd suggest just going through D3D9 or even XNA and just sticking exclusively to shaders. If you do that, you'll be using pretty much the same exact techniques you'd be using in D3D10 anyway.

ok thanks all good help. New question:

4: If anyone would like to join the programming team I'm in (we need direct3D and physics programmers) please send me a pm and ill get back to you straight away. Thanks. :)

This topic is 3502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.