Sign in to follow this  
Xasz

OpenGL WarCraft 3 model loader

Xasz    108
I found a model loader a while back that would load the models, but, well, it wouldn't animate them and I can't seem to find it again. Going on hour 4 of Googling to no avail. Anyone able to provide a link to one? I'm using OpenGL. NeHe's basecode in particular, in Visual Studio 2005. The one I used seemed to work pretty well minus the animation... was easy to use. Looking for something like it Thanks in advance

Quote:
Original post by NineYearCycle
You mean you couldn't find the "War3 Model Editor" complete with source code as the second link on the second page of Google when using "WarCraft 3 model loader" as a search string via the "Masters of Map Making" hit?

Well hope it helps you out.

Andy

In his defence, no I didn't find that either while searching "the web" on google.co.uk. When I changed it to search "pages from the UK" I found the link you posted, although I had to go to another result first and it was linked from that page.

NineYearCycle    1538
I just used www.google.com opened the page and followed the link where it said, 30 seconds work. I know that sometimes you can be searching for something with Google and not find it for hours. Maybe my Google-Fu is a bit more practised after all these years [Grin]

Xasz    108
Gotta love how everyone managed to Google that, but nobody managed to read that I'm looking for something that works in OpenGL. I found that one, like you did, after about 30 seconds. It's DirectX

Appreciate the pretentious comments though, how about something useful now?

NineYearCycle    1538
How about you've got the loader and that's all you need? It loads vertices, normals, tex-coords etc you just need to display them. You already spent 4 hours searching Google for the easy answer to something that would only take you 2 hours to write.

There's nothing special about vertices, normals, tex-coords in DX that mean you can't use them in OpenGL. And if you're not actually interested in it as a modeller or editor then you must be after the code and you've just been handed that.

Andy

NineYearCycle    1538
Also sorry for the pretentious tone but you didn't ask for OpenGL code you asked for WarCraft3 model loading code.

You stated that you're using OpenGL, Nehe base code but honestly if you're actually looking for someone who has written a WarCraft3 model loader using OpenGL and Nehe base code your seriously narrowing your potentially successful search parameters as people are unlikely to have written exactly the thing that you're looking for.

Take something that works and adapt it to your needs. It's basic and essential programming practice.

Andy

Xasz    108
It doesn't need to be NeHe, just OpenGL. I said that as an aside. Rewriting my entire project to use DirectX (especially when I'm using OpenGL so that it can be cross platform) makes no sense; considering I managed to find one that loaded them in OpenGL before.

laeuchli    338
Their point was that the loading code and the rendering code are seperate, and as such it should be a simple matter to take the loading code and render the data using OpenGL. This is probably your best options.

Xasz    108
I've had some luck with finding a loader/viewer for MD3. I also found a converter for MDX to MD3. Looks like this will fit my needs

ibebrett    205
you should be able to write a model loader. you have the code, it just renders in direct x. if you can't do this task, then you are biting off more than you can chew. it should be trivial, almost all the work is done.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kjell Andersson
      I'm trying to get some legacy OpenGL code to run with a shader pipeline,
      The legacy code uses glVertexPointer(), glColorPointer(), glNormalPointer() and glTexCoordPointer() to supply the vertex information.
      I know that it should be using setVertexAttribPointer() etc to clearly define the layout but that is not an option right now since the legacy code can't be modified to that extent.
      I've got a version 330 vertex shader to somewhat work:
      #version 330 uniform mat4 osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix; uniform mat4 osg_ModelViewMatrix; layout(location = 0) in vec4 Vertex; layout(location = 2) in vec4 Normal; // Velocity layout(location = 3) in vec3 TexCoord; // TODO: is this the right layout location? out VertexData { vec4 color; vec3 velocity; float size; } VertexOut; void main(void) { vec4 p0 = Vertex; vec4 p1 = Vertex + vec4(Normal.x, Normal.y, Normal.z, 0.0f); vec3 velocity = (osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * p1 - osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * p0).xyz; VertexOut.velocity = velocity; VertexOut.size = TexCoord.y; gl_Position = osg_ModelViewMatrix * Vertex; } What works is the Vertex and Normal information that the legacy C++ OpenGL code seem to provide in layout location 0 and 2. This is fine.
      What I'm not getting to work is the TexCoord information that is supplied by a glTexCoordPointer() call in C++.
      Question:
      What layout location is the old standard pipeline using for glTexCoordPointer()? Or is this undefined?

Side note: I'm trying to get an OpenSceneGraph 3.4.0 particle system to use custom vertex, geometry and fragment shaders for rendering the particles.
    • By markshaw001
      Hi i am new to this forum  i wanted to ask for help from all of you i want to generate real time terrain using a 32 bit heightmap i am good at c++ and have started learning Opengl as i am very interested in making landscapes in opengl i have looked around the internet for help about this topic but i am not getting the hang of the concepts and what they are doing can some here suggests me some good resources for making terrain engine please for example like tutorials,books etc so that i can understand the whole concept of terrain generation.

• By KarimIO
      Hey guys. I'm trying to get my application to work on my Nvidia GTX 970 desktop. It currently works on my Intel HD 3000 laptop, but on the desktop, every bind textures specifically from framebuffers, I get half a second of lag. This is done 4 times as I have three RGBA textures and one depth 32F buffer. I tried to use debugging software for the first time - RenderDoc only shows SwapBuffers() and no OGL calls, while Nvidia Nsight crashes upon execution, so neither are helpful. Without binding it runs regularly. This does not happen with non-framebuffer binds.
      GLFramebuffer::GLFramebuffer(FramebufferCreateInfo createInfo) { glGenFramebuffers(1, &fbo); glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fbo); textures = new GLuint[createInfo.numColorTargets]; glGenTextures(createInfo.numColorTargets, textures); GLenum *DrawBuffers = new GLenum[createInfo.numColorTargets]; for (uint32_t i = 0; i < createInfo.numColorTargets; i++) { glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[i]); GLint internalFormat; GLenum format; TranslateFormats(createInfo.colorFormats[i], format, internalFormat); // returns GL_RGBA and GL_RGBA glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, internalFormat, createInfo.width, createInfo.height, 0, format, GL_FLOAT, 0); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); DrawBuffers[i] = GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 + i; glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0); glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 + i, textures[i], 0); } if (createInfo.depthFormat != FORMAT_DEPTH_NONE) { GLenum depthFormat; switch (createInfo.depthFormat) { case FORMAT_DEPTH_16: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT16; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_24: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_32: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_24_STENCIL_8: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_32_STENCIL_8: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH32F_STENCIL8; break; } glGenTextures(1, &depthrenderbuffer); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, depthrenderbuffer); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, depthFormat, createInfo.width, createInfo.height, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, 0); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0); glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, depthrenderbuffer, 0); } if (createInfo.numColorTargets > 0) glDrawBuffers(createInfo.numColorTargets, DrawBuffers); else glDrawBuffer(GL_NONE); if (glCheckFramebufferStatus(GL_FRAMEBUFFER) != GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE) std::cout << "Framebuffer Incomplete\n"; glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0); width = createInfo.width; height = createInfo.height; } // ... // FBO Creation FramebufferCreateInfo gbufferCI; gbufferCI.colorFormats = gbufferCFs.data(); gbufferCI.depthFormat = FORMAT_DEPTH_32; gbufferCI.numColorTargets = gbufferCFs.size(); gbufferCI.width = engine.settings.resolutionX; gbufferCI.height = engine.settings.resolutionY; gbufferCI.renderPass = nullptr; gbuffer = graphicsWrapper->CreateFramebuffer(gbufferCI); // Bind glBindFramebuffer(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER, fbo); // Draw here... // Bind to textures glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[0]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE1); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[1]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE2); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[2]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE3); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, depthrenderbuffer); Here is an extract of my code. I can't think of anything else to include. I've really been butting my head into a wall trying to think of a reason but I can think of none and all my research yields nothing. Thanks in advance!
    • By Adrianensis
      Hi everyone, I've shared my 2D Game Engine source code. It's the result of 4 years working on it (and I still continue improving features ) and I want to share with the community. You can see some videos on youtube and some demo gifs on my twitter account.
      This Engine has been developed as End-of-Degree Project and it is coded in Javascript, WebGL and GLSL. The engine is written from scratch.
      This is not a professional engine but it's for learning purposes, so anyone can review the code an learn basis about graphics, physics or game engine architecture. Source code on this GitHub repository.
      I'm available for a good conversation about Game Engine / Graphics Programming
    • By C0dR
      I would like to introduce the first version of my physically based camera rendering library, written in C++, called PhysiCam.
      Physicam is an open source OpenGL C++ library, which provides physically based camera rendering and parameters. It is based on OpenGL and designed to be used as either static library or dynamic library and can be integrated in existing applications.

The following features are implemented:
      Physically based sensor and focal length calculation Autoexposure Manual exposure Lense distortion Bloom (influenced by ISO, Shutter Speed, Sensor type etc.) Bokeh (influenced by Aperture, Sensor type and focal length) Tonemapping  
      You can find the repository at https://github.com/0x2A/physicam

I would be happy about feedback, suggestions or contributions.

• Popular Now