DirectX SDK Compiler Compatability

Started by
5 comments, last by etftw 15 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I am new around here and very eager to get into game development using the DirectX SDK and a book was suggested to me which seems as if it could be a great starting point (Beginning Game Programming by Jonathan S. Harbour), however I noticed the code compiled in his book is done so in Visual C++ 6. What I want to know is: would the calls to the DirectX API need to be changed at all for the different compilers or would that portion of things remain the same?
Advertisement
A fellow Manc, woo! :D

To answer your question though, the API calls remain the same across different compilers. The only way the API calls would change is if the API changes.
Progress is born from the opportunity to make mistakes.

My prize winning Connect 4 AI looks one move ahead, can you beat it? @nickstadb
I don't think VC6 works with the latest SDKs at all (I could be wrong though). I was under the impression that the libraries weren't compatible.

In any case, don't use VC6. It's over 10 years old, incredibly non-complient, buggy, produces very poor code, and is just overall horrible. VC2008 is free to download and use, and performs much better than VC6 in every single way. The code should compile almost exactly on VC2008, there'll only be problems if the author of the book isn't writing valid C++ in the first place.
I heard VC6 isnt compatible with the new releases of the SDK which is why I don't really want to produce code in it, VC08 is the compiler I would preferbly like to use.
Then go for it :)
Use VC2008. VC6 is bloody awful.
Been trying out Visual Studio 2003, gotta admit I am quite fond of it, it offers a clean interface and as far as I know is fully compatible with the newer releases of the DirectX SDK AND works with existing code from a few books I own on the subject of DirectX.

So it looks like I have finally found my perfect compiler :-)

I compiled the source code on one of the CDs that came with one of my books and it worked fine so atleast now I can read through the book knowing what I am reading can be used.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement