Sign in to follow this  
Starshine_

How to use QGLFramebufferObject for shadow mapping?

Starshine_    122
Hello! I'm trying to do shadow mapping using a QGLFramebufferObject http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qglframebufferobject.html but, to be honest, I'm not really sure how to do it. I've read the documentation and tried to do it in my program, but what I did involved a lot of guesswork on how to actually use these framebuffers in practice, and it seems that I guessed something wrong... here's what I'm doing. First, I have a QGLFramebufferObject declared in the private section of my QGLWidget: QGLFramebufferObject *framebuffer; Second, in the initializeGL() function I create a new framebuffer object for the shadow map using this constructor: framebuffer = new QGLFramebufferObject(shadowMapSize, shadowMapSize, QGLFramebufferObject::Depth); And in the paintGL() function, during the first pass (rendering the scene from the light's point of view) I do framebuffer->bind() before rendering the scene, so that it's rendered to the framebuffer, and after that I do framebuffer->release() so that the next pass isn't rendered to the framebuffer anymore. But I have no idea what to do just after rendering the scene... without using the framebuffer, I had this: glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, shadowMapTexture); glCopyTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0,0,0,0,0, shadowMapSize, shadowMapSize); But I have no idea how to do that using my new framebuffer object... can someone help me do that?

HuntsMan    368
Use QGLFramebufferObject::texture() to get the texture ID of the attached texture, that contains the depth buffer data, and you can glBindTexture it and use it for your shadow algorithms.

Starshine_    122
Thanks! I'm getting an error, though... here it is:

QGLFramebufferObject: Framebuffer incomplete attachment.

When I googled for it, I found this: http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2007-08/thread00134-0.html it seems someome had the same problem, and someone told him to use QGLFramebufferObject::handle(). How can I use the handle here?

HuntsMan    368
Simple, if you want to use a depth-only FBO, you need to set the draw/read buffers to GL_NONE, to indicate to OpenGL that you don't want to render to the color buffer, using :

glDrawBuffer(GL_NONE);
glReadBuffer(GL_NONE);

Then the framebuffer should be complete.

Starshine_    122
Thanks! But it doesn't change anything, I still get the "QGLFramebufferObject: Framebuffer incomplete attachment" error... or would it work only if I used the normal framebuffer instead of QGLFramebufferObject?