Sign in to follow this  
UnrealSolo

AvailableTextureMemory reports less each time I start my app

UnrealSolo    122
Hi, I have a model viewer/editor, wich uses managed directx, winxp sp2, with multiple dockable viewports, using swapchains, and im finding that the AvailableTextureMemory drops by about 10mb each time I start the app, eventually my aiw radeon 9800 pro 256mb runs out of memory and it fails. the problem wont go away without a reboot. Im using managed code so I was hoping I would not be bothered by this sort of thing, but im not clear what the effect of pool and various other parameters such as usage are on management. Im using TextureLoader.FromStream as I found Texture.FromBitmap was very slow when using the debugger vs2005 c# express. is this likely a bug with ati or managed directx or posibly my code ? I was hoping someone would know if there are any known problems or likely cuases or even how or where to start looking before I pull my hair out lol. many thanks Solo =^.^=

UnrealSolo    122
weirdly the problem now seems to have gone away,
the only change i made was to create my own depth stencil buffer,

ive even now deleted all the dispose stuff I added in thinking it was needed,
odly the debug directx output reported no memory leaks,
and examining the ati plugin for the directx win tool
saw nothing unreleased.

I just assume its a quirk of my ati driver that falls over with releasing the memory when using the same depth stencil for multiple swap buffers, despite the fact that it draws ok.

Evil Steve    2017
Do you have the latest drivers for your card? The driver should clean up everything you use in your app for you, otherwise it'd be possible to kill the machine (Well, require a reboot) by leaking all the video memory.

UnrealSolo    122
well yes they were the latest drivers at least at one time ie when i installed them lol.

I update them fairly often but usualy only if I know there is a problem wich can be fixed by an upgrade, as its sometimes quite a hassle, or sometimes im after new features.

Ive found a way of fixing it without a reboot though, I just change one of the directx settings in the ati control panel such as antialiasing etc, and it seems to reset everything.

oddly enough this doesnt do the trick when I have the debug drivers enabled.

since I have allocated a depth buffer for every swap chain I have not had this problem though.