Beginning SDL Problem

Started by
6 comments, last by NUCLEAR RABBIT 15 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I tried making something with SDL, Im getting no errors, but when I run the program, a window pops up and just goes away and it doesnt show the image. Can anyone help me find what I am doing wrong?

#include "SDL/SDL.h"
#include <string>

const int SCREEN_WIDTH = 640;
const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480;
const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;

SDL_Surface * screen = NULL;
SDL_Surface * message = NULL;
SDL_Surface * background = NULL;

void CleanUp();
bool Init();
bool LoadFiles();
SDL_Surface * LoadImage(const std::string & file_name);
void ApplyImage(int x, int y, SDL_Surface * image, SDL_Surface * screen);

int main( int argc, char* args[] )
{
	if(Init() == false)
	{
		return 1;
	}

if(LoadFiles() == false)
	{
		return 1;
	}

ApplyImage(0,0,background,screen);
	ApplyImage(0,0,message,screen);

if(SDL_Flip(screen) == -1)
	{
		return 1;
	}

CleanUp();

return 0;
}

//____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

// Function Definitions

void CleanUp()
{
	SDL_Delay(5000);
	SDL_FreeSurface(background);
	SDL_FreeSurface(message);
	SDL_Quit();
}

bool Init()
{
	if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING) == -1)
	{
		return false;
	}

screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT,SCREEN_BPP,SDL_SWSURFACE);

if(screen == NULL)
	{
		return false;
	}

SDL_WM_SetCaption("ADDING AN IMAGE TO THE SCREEN!", NULL);

return true;
}

bool LoadFiles()
{
	background = LoadImage("background.bmp");
	message = LoadImage("hello_world.bmp");

if (background == NULL || message == NULL)
	{
		return false;
	}

return true;
}

SDL_Surface * LoadImage(const std::string & file_name)
{
	SDL_Surface * loaded_image = NULL;
	SDL_Surface * opt_image = NULL;

loaded_image = SDL_LoadBMP(file_name.c_str());

if(loaded_image != NULL)
	{
		opt_image = SDL_DisplayFormat(loaded_image);

SDL_FreeSurface(loaded_image);
	}

return opt_image;
}

void ApplyImage(int x, int y, SDL_Surface * image, SDL_Surface * screen)
{
	SDL_Rect offset;

offset.x = x;
	offset.y = y;

SDL_BlitSurface(image, NULL, screen, &offset);
}
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by NUCLEAR RABBIT
Hello,

I tried making something with SDL, Im getting no errors, but when I run the program, a window pops up and just goes away and it doesnt show the image. Can anyone help me find what I am doing wrong?

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

That's what your code does - inits SDL, loads the files, draws the images, flips the screen then calls cleanup and finishes :)

You need a 'main loop'.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

lol, you're lucky, I can compile just fine, but when i try to execute the program nothing happens....

#include <SDL\SDL.h>#include <string>const int SCREEN_WIDTH = 640;const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480;const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;SDL_Surface *message = NULL;SDL_Surface *background = NULL;SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;void apply_surface( int x, int y, SDL_Surface* source, SDL_Surface* destination ){    //Make a temporary rectangle to hold the offsets    SDL_Rect offset;        //Give the offsets to the rectangle    offset.x = x;    offset.y = y;        //Blit the surface    SDL_BlitSurface( source, NULL, destination, &offset );}SDL_Surface *load_image( std::string filename ){    SDL_Surface* loadedImage = NULL;    SDL_Surface* optimizedImage = NULL;        loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP( filename.c_str() );        if( loadedImage != NULL )    {        optimizedImage = SDL_DisplayFormat( loadedImage );        SDL_FreeSurface( loadedImage );    }    return optimizedImage;}int main( int argc, char* args[] ){    //Start SDL    if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING ) == -1);    {        return 1;    }    //Set up the screen    screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP, SDL_SWSURFACE );    //If there was an error in setting up the screen    if( screen == NULL )    {        return 1;        }    //Set the window caption    SDL_WM_SetCaption( "Hello World", NULL );    //Load the images    message = load_image( "hello_world.bmp" );    background = load_image( "background.bmp" );    //Apply the background to the screen    apply_surface( 0, 0, background, screen );    //Apply the message to the screen    apply_surface( 180, 140, message, screen );    //Update the screen    if( SDL_Flip( screen ) == -1 )    {        return 1;        }    //Wait 20 seconds    SDL_Delay( 20000 );    //Free the surfaces    SDL_FreeSurface( message );    SDL_FreeSurface( background );        //Quit SDL    SDL_Quit();        //Return    return 0;}
-A.K.A SteveGravity is unreliable-DTD
Quote:Original post by deadstar
Quote:Original post by NUCLEAR RABBIT
Hello,

I tried making something with SDL, Im getting no errors, but when I run the program, a window pops up and just goes away and it doesnt show the image. Can anyone help me find what I am doing wrong?

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

That's what your code does - inits SDL, loads the files, draws the images, flips the screen then calls cleanup and finishes :)

You need a 'main loop'.

haha yah, but in the CleanUp(), i put a delay function, which delays the window for 5 seconds so I can see the images before it closes.

(it only stays up for like a split second)
Ah I did notice after I posted.

I wouldn't rely on that SDL_delay() too much.

Best advice I can give is to output error messages in all your error checking. Use 'cout' or 'printf', or if you're using Windows then include windows.h and use a message box:

MessageBox(NULL, "Error initialising SDL", "Error", MB_OK);

And that Main Loop still comes highly recommended.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Quote:Original post by deadstar

And that Main Loop still comes highly recommended.

yah, i know. im just trying to get an image on the screen for right now [smile]

ill try the messagebox to find the error :D

thanx!
one problem with the message box, i get this error when i put that in:

1>c:\users\owner\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\sdl lesson 2\sdl lesson 2\main.cpp(68) : error C2664: 'MessageBoxW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'const char [5]' to 'LPCWSTR'
	if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING) == -1)	{		MessageBox(NULL, "INIT", "ERROR", MB_OK);		return false;	}

(I added <windows.h>)
nevermind, my friend helped me find the error :D

(the images were in the wrong directory haha

thanx tho!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement