Sign in to follow this  
omegarealist

I need help with destructible Terrain

omegarealist    122
I want to add a Real Time Structural Analysis system to something like ODE or other physics engine so that it checks for realestic weak points and areas as such so it will break away realisticly. But I have no idea how to do this though. I need to do this in C++ I would appreciate code samples as well.

Tenac    124
If I were to guess, I'd say make a simple wall mesh into more pieces that look like broken pieces and when a bullet detection or something is detected on the wall, it makes the small pieces of the mesh break off. Or when a bullet detection occurs, it replaces the wall with the higher poly wall that has the destructible pieces. That's just a guess though.

EDIT: I noticed from that link Hodgman posted that what it does is convert a simple mesh into a higher poly mesh split into a bunch of triangles and when something hits it, it deforms or breaks in that spot which the math would be really confusing though, but something that advanced in a realtime game seems kinda wierd. It would be cool though I guess.

grhodes_at_work    1385
This is something that can be nontrivial to implement. Not beginners stuff.

Havok has a new module called Destruction that approximates fracture. Visually, their demos look similar to what I've seen in the public Pixelux videos, though I'd guess their internal implementation is very different. They are supposedly releasing the Havok core physics system free for non-commercial use, sometime this month. Not sure if Destruction will be included in that.

I also saw mention on the nVIDIA website that they are releasing a tool called APEX with a destruction component. Not sure exactly what they mean by destruction. APEX apparently is a high level toolset built on top of PhysX, with some extended capabilities. Also, unfortunately, it seems to be available only for the Unreal 3 engine. Or, will become available for that platform. I don't think its been released yet. The only info I've seen is on the nVIDIA website.

There are numerous games coming out with large scale destruction, not least of which is Battlefield: Bad Company.

Some of the rigid body dynamics systems support breakable joints, which can be used to generate very approximate fracture. PhysX supports this. I think Bullet does as well. You'd have to do the visual mesh subdivision and re-skinning yourself. And that part alone can be tricky.