Sign in to follow this  

DirectX10 Highlighting

This topic is 3502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a beginner for directx 10 programming,and I have a problem how to highlight an object(make it reflect rays on the edge). Can anyone give me any suggestions? Thanks for help.

Did you mean specular effect?

You can turn it on by setting the render state.

p9device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SPECULARENABLE, true);

But you must setting up the light already.

Hope this will help.

Quote:
Original post by haxpor
Did you mean specular effect?

You can turn it on by setting the render state.

p9device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SPECULARENABLE, true);

But you must setting up the light already.

Hope this will help.

Excuse me,it seems like some direct9 code,how can I do this using direct10?

Specular is not what you want (that is a component of the BRDF lighting model) - yes, it makes things shiny, but it doesn't make things glow.

You cannot use that code in D3D10 - those functions are all "fixed function" which was completely dropped.

Look at the PostProcess sample in the SDK. It's not for D3D10, but the algorithm is the same and the implementation is going to be very close. Otherwise, try digging around in ATI and Nvidia's developer SDK's.

hth
Jack

Hi,Jack!At last I have made out what the glow effect is and how I can perform it.And just as you said,the source code of nvidia samples is a little complex.

Commonly,we have to do three steps of job.First,do a normal-based edge detection(seperate the edge and other part of the object with different colors).Then,perform a blur effect.Finally,combine the result with the original image.Is that right?

Otherwise,I find myself difficult in the HLSL language,can you introduce me some useful books.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Original post by Silver Fox

Commonly,we have to do three steps of job.First,do a normal-based edge detection(seperate the edge and other part of the object with different colors).Then,perform a blur effect.Finally,combine the result with the original image.Is that right?

Yes, that's the basic gist of it. Typically the image is also downscaled for a process like this, then upscaled and combined with the original. This make the blurring cheaper, and also makes the glow have a greater effect.

Quote:
Not far off but it would be more common to use a high-pass filter than an edge-detect. The blurring is usually to simulate the bleeding you'd get through a lens with very bright light - thus you want to high-pass and reject any pixels with a brightness behind a certain threshold.

However, the fun of post-processing effects is that you can throw in different steps and still get interesting results back. Try the edge-detect, it might well give you some pretty cool effects - I suspect it might give you a sort of halo/outline result.

Quote:
Otherwise,I find myself difficult in the HLSL language,can you introduce me some useful books.
I don't tend to read graphics books (except for the older classic texts) but you could look into the ShaderX series and/or GPU Gems.

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:
Not far off but it would be more common to use a high-pass filter than an edge-detect. The blurring is usually to simulate the bleeding you'd get through a lens with very bright light - thus you want to high-pass and reject any pixels with a brightness behind a certain threshold.

He wants to do an edge-glow effect, like in the D3D9 PostProcess sample (not a straight-up bloom). That's why he's talking about doing an edge-detection on the normals, and not a threshold.

This topic is 3502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.