Easiest way to make a simple networked game?

Started by
2 comments, last by argonaut 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I am just finishing my first full game project and I feel ready to start again. For my next game, I have been having a hard time trying to figure out what I want to do. The question is, is there any librarys or anything that make it simple to have a small networked game? Example: In the client it would search for other people trying to play, then set them together. In the game, it would be like 800x600 window, and inside that the two people could walk around. I want to start working on something, but I want to design everything to work together. So, before I start doing anything. Im wondering what the easiest way would be to achieve this? Language C++
Advertisement
Check out SFML - Simple Fast Media Library

It has an awesomely simple, awesomely powerfully networking component.

They even have an extremely simply tutorial showing how to implement VoIP, thats how awesome and simple this API is. Check it out. It does a lot more too.
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
I guess this depends on the goals of the project. A couple of years ago, I wrote a game using the Winsock2 library, and I had a hell of a lotta fun learning the differences of protocols and all the other nuts and bolts that go on down there. If that interests you, shoot me a hollar.

Otherwise, all of my networked games have used TGE (not sure if that's a dirty word here, or not). The reason for this is that writing network code is a pain if you are trying to do rapid prototyping/development. It's much easier to let Torque do it if you are interested in developing the game instead of the network.

I'm sure some other people have network libraries build (Boost, maybe?) that will make your life simple and clean.

~Argonaut________________________________Why "~Argonaut"? It's all just a mathematical expression denoting a close approximation of "Argonaut", which is irrational and can't be precisely defined.
Quote:Original post by Wavesonics
Check out SFML - Simple Fast Media Library

It has an awesomely simple, awesomely powerfully networking component.

They even have an extremely simply tutorial showing how to implement VoIP, thats how awesome and simple this API is. Check it out. It does a lot more too.

Good call! I forgot that I had argued to use it for a project we started 3 months ago.
~Argonaut________________________________Why "~Argonaut"? It's all just a mathematical expression denoting a close approximation of "Argonaut", which is irrational and can't be precisely defined.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement