Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

Can't acquire mouse after this setup

lucky6969b    1330
Hi there, Code snippet, [CODE] inline HWND system::create_window(const char* classname,WNDPROC callback) { const WNDCLASSEX wc={ sizeof(WNDCLASSEX), CS_HREDRAW|CS_VREDRAW|CS_OWNDC, callback, 0, 0, instance, 0, LoadCursor(0,IDC_ARROW), (HBRUSH)GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH), NULL, classname, 0}; const ATOM reg=RegisterClassEx(&wc); const DWORD style=WS_POPUP; const DWORD exstyle=WS_EX_APPWINDOW; const int width=800; const int height=600; const HWND win=CreateWindowEx( exstyle, classname, WINDOW_TITLE, style, 0, 0, width, height, 0, 0, instance, NULL); return win; } [/CODE] The point is I don't want to go to full screen, but instead acquiring the mouse while in windowed mode. Is this possible? Thanks Jack

lucky6969b    1330
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Yes, it's possible. However, Don't do that. DirectInput is just a terrible idea for keyboard or mouse input.

If this is the case, what other methods should I use to gain control of the mouse? you meant to use traditional win32 methods? :)
Thanks
Jack

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
Original post by lucky6969b
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Yes, it's possible. However, Don't do that. DirectInput is just a terrible idea for keyboard or mouse input.

If this is the case, what other methods should I use to gain control of the mouse? you meant to use traditional win32 methods? :)
Thanks
Jack
Yep, WM_MOUSEMOVE. If you really need high-DPI mouse input (For e.g. a FPS camera - and you don't need mouse coordinates in pixels), then you should use raw input (WM_INPUT).

lucky6969b    1330
Steve,
Thank you for your suggestions.
And also how do you translate screen coords to Direct3D coords?
I have seen a few threads which inform to use a ray. What is the story about?

Have a nice day
Jack

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
Steve,
Thank you for your suggestions.
And also how do you translate screen coords to Direct3D coords?
I have seen a few threads which inform to use a ray. What is the story about?

Have a nice day
Jack
Yup - it's called "picking" (Google will give loads of results). Link. Basically, you create a ray from the pixel (Since the world is 3D and the screen is 2D, one pixel represents a line in 3D space, which is this ray), and then see what intersects that line.

lucky6969b    1330
What if I want to pick an empty point in space which is not being occupied by the Mesh or any other objects? Seems very unrealistic.... and doesn't make much sense!!
Actually now I am reading the Direct3D sample source code from the SDK?
Just want to know what MS has to say about picking? :)

Thanks
Jack

[Edited by - lucky6969b on May 14, 2008 5:35:46 AM]

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
What if I want to pick an empty point in space which is not being occupied by the Mesh or any other objects? Seems very unrealistic.... and doesn't make much sense!!
Actually now I am reading the Direct3D sample source code from the SDK?
Just want to know what MS has to say about picking? :)
Picking isn't a D3D specific feature, it's generic to 3D graphics. I don't know if the SDK has anything about picking in it.
If you just want to pick an empty point, then you just need a ray and you can skip the second half.

There's no way to get a single 3D point given a 2D point though, there's not enough information there.