Sign in to follow this  

Is my idea good?

This topic is 3504 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I haven't really gotten into the development process for my game, and so I can change these things. I was thinking instead of using C++, OpenGL, SDL and OpenAL, I thought I could use Python, OpenGL, OpenAL, Pygame, and Livewires(Pygame made easy), so that I could make it an Applet in my web browser without losing too much speed. Is this a good idea? I don't think you'd have to download the game, and it would be easier for me too. And I could implement Python in my website too to make the interactions easier. Is my idea good? I also have people who want to learn how to make games but C++ is just too hard. Please, leave a suggestion. Really, if the majority here thinks it's a fine idea, I'll go through with it.

Whatever works for your game. If you can make the game you want to make in Python, then go right ahead and use Python. No reason in using C++ if you do not want, have to or need to.

Applets like real go to a website, and it launches an applet, applet is a java thing you can't do it in python you sure as heck can't use pygame as that requires the install of dlls. If you mean applet in the small application sense of the word then python would be fine and the only thing you left off the list of things you might want to check out is py2exe so that people who want to download the games don't have to install python.

I have py2exe. And I know that Python can do applets and make games browser based, because it is everywhere and Dream Weaver even has support to put it in. There are articles comparing Java to Python too. I have one here. I like that one. Games like Command and Conquer have been made with it so I'm pretty sure it'll do what I want. I am going to make an MMORPG, an RPG(Sequels, probably RPG first), and 2 FPS games for now. Or at least all of those in about 8-10 years. And Python is A LOT easier to use, that's definitely a plus, seeing as how I have to teach it to people. Or another choice is Jython. Lol, that's Python in Java. And, of course, if PyGame doesn't work, SDL will. And what does speed matter if it works? And , does anyone know where I can get some numbers for speed. I like to see the comparison. Like Python is 1000, C/C++ is 1500, and Java is 1050. Something like that would help with my decision. And, using Python with Zope is an option for me too.

The language you use is just a small portion of the end product. The majority of your development process will involve creating content and designing the basic mechanics of the game and then using the language to glue it together.

I personally would be very cautious about planning too far into the future (i.e. the 8-10 year thing). The common employer question usually is "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" - and that is a very important question indeed.

Some developers find it easier to work in 1 week chunks (some of which have taken the process a step further and do all their games within the week). The shorter your development cycle, the more finer grained control you will have about the direction you want to go.

Sometimes a project will sound like a good idea but it ends up being a bad idea. Be prepared for those moments too! The saying goes your first few games will be bad.

All I can say is, stick with small development cycles (even if it means breaking a larger project into week long chunks). Where you or the state of the industry will be in 3-4 years time is highly unpredictable.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have failed every time becuase of that. I can't really break the habit becuase on my spare time I plan. I try though. I'll probably end up using Python because it matches what I want, and it's my best language, although my first was Java. But I can remember Python easily, not have to look through books as much. That's probably what i'll do then. Thank you all for your responses.

hrmm I don't think you'll be able to make a web game using python+pygame, as I don't know of any interpreters that support it yet.

2 alternatives that do work with python, are Jython with the java standard libraries, and Iron Python with Silverlight. You may want to check those options out.

Quote:
Original post by Jedimace
And I know that Python can do applets and make games browser based, because it is everywhere and Dream Weaver even has support to put it in.

Python can't make applets. Perhaps some of the variants like IronPython or Jython can.

Quote:
There are articles comparing Java to Python too. I have one here. I like that one.

It doesn't mention applets. It mentions web applications, which means server-side programs, not things that actually run in a browser.

Quote:
And, of course, if PyGame doesn't work, SDL will.

SDL won't run in a browser either.

Quote:
And, does anyone know where I can get some numbers for speed. I like to see the comparison. Like Python is 1000, C/C++ is 1500, and Java is 1050. Something like that would help with my decision.

It's not a useful measure, since the performance will depend on the libraries you use and what exactly you're doing.

Quote:
And, using Python with Zope is an option for me too.

You don't want to go anywhere near Zope.

Quote:
I have py2exe. And I know that Python can do applets and make games browser based, because it is everywhere and Dream Weaver even has support to put it in. There are articles comparing Java to Python too. I have one here. I like that one. Games like Command and Conquer have been made with it so I'm pretty sure it'll do what I want. I am going to make an MMORPG, an RPG(Sequels, probably RPG first), and 2 FPS games for now. Or at least all of those in about 8-10 years. And Python is A LOT easier to use, that's definitely a plus, seeing as how I have to teach it to people. Or another choice is Jython. Lol, that's Python in Java. And, of course, if PyGame doesn't work, SDL will. And what does speed matter if it works? And , does anyone know where I can get some numbers for speed. I like to see the comparison. Like Python is 1000, C/C++ is 1500, and Java is 1050. Something like that would help with my decision. And, using Python with Zope is an option for me too.

For a speed comparison try goggling for computer language shootout.

Yes you can do server side scripting in python(Zope/Dreamweaver/Django whatever) That will net you a browser based game like travian.

Yes you can write applets in Jython. Jython is 5+ years out of date with were python is so it won't support any current libs written for python and then since Jython runs on the JVM they must be pure python no libs that call out to C for speed. Second applets are very locked down. You can't load native libraries like sdl or pygame you can only use what is in a java default distribution. You are cut off from hardware acceleration. This will net you something along the lines of flash from a game/interactivity standpoint.

A native python app can be pretty good for writing most games, though you will still want to call C code for speed. The usual idea is code in python then profile then recode the worst performer in C. Then re-profile and recode more in C etc..

I looked at IronPython, and that does do applet like stuff. (It's Silver Light, sorta like Flash), but I can use Silver Light with C# and IronPython hopefully being able to use SDL, OpenGL and OpenAL with it, I can make 3D browser based applications. My alternative is using Jython with JOGL and maybe a Java implementation of OpenAL and SDL.

Quote:
Like Python is 1000, C/C++ is 1500, and Java is 1050.

Languages don't have inherent absolute speed. Plus it totally depends on what you're doing. Current implementations (i.e. compilers) of different languages have different strong domains. Raw number crunching might be fastest in Fortran, Object creation in Java may be 10 times faster than in C++ and so forth.

But this really shouldn't influence your decision. Chose a language that helps you learn programming (by not putting too many stumbling blocks in your way).

Ok. And I already know all the languages I am choosing from. Right now I am looking into Silver Light with .wpf applications. It says there is 3D... Any comments on Silver Light and WPF applications? Anyone from Microsoft?

This topic is 3504 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.