Sign in to follow this  
Darren10

Music Files

Darren10    122
Hello, my is Darren Stevens and I am a young music entrepreneur from the Chicagoland area. I have a question regarding music files. I know what you're thinking...MUSIC FILES??? I have been told by many people that video game designers and programmers are the most knowledgeable people about this subject. Now, my question is; how possible is it to create a different type of music file (EX: MP3, MP4, WMA) that couldn't be duplicated or stolen as easy as it is to steal other music files?

sirGustav    588
no. at some point you actually have to be able to listen to it, at witch point it can be re-recorded to a different media. It might be a little more difficult than say downloading files from napster, but there is no way for you to know if I got my speakers connected, or if if got may laptop microphone connected.

Tenac    124
Well, people have developed programs in C++ that load those files and play them. You can make a converter than reads from a file that already exists and write it in a different format to another file of your own name. And without releasing the format of your file, no one will know how to play that file except for you. That's just an educated guess though.

jbadams    25676
You can develop a format which will discourage people from casual copying of the files, but there is absolutely no way you can ever completely prevent copies being made, and in the majority of cases you can't even make it particularly difficult without being a complete pain in the ass to your legit. customers as well.

In short, this is a dead-end area if you're looking to make money from the development and sale of a protected music or audio format.

JanDeis    148
If you are putting your music on the web to advertise it, you could just take a small sample piece of the song you want to put up and give the public a sample. Then if they want to buy it, you give them the full file after they pay.

If that isn't the case, there is really no way you can do that, like said above.