Glass

Started by
4 comments, last by zedz 15 years, 11 months ago
I am looking for references regarding techniques that allow breaking glass. So what I appreciate would be links to or names of articles. Thanks in advance, - Wolf
Advertisement
I don't know of any references and considering that you've written some pretty amazing books, I feel almost silly for suggesting this, but maybe it helps anyway:

I've experimented with breaking glass and I've gotten some pretty good results with the following approach:
I create two versions of the glass mesh, one that is intact and one that is composed of individual shards (all the shards together should make up a seemingly intact mesh). When a strong enough force is applied to the glass mesh, I replace the intact mesh with the shards and apply the impact force to each shard individually. That will make them fly around like you'd expect.
If you only want parts of the glass to go flying, you can mark certain shards as static. Also, you can sub-divide the glass-mesh into a number of sub-meshes and treat each of them individually. That will allow you to knock out individual parts of the glass.

A different approach (that I haven't tested) is to create an alpha texture for each glass surface that is initially completely white. When you throw something into the glass, right before the collision actually happens, you would project the object onto the glass surface and render it (in black) into the alpha texture. I'm guessing you could use an edge-detection kind of pixel shader to create outlines that look like shattered glass. Since you're not actually changing the geometry, you'd have to use something like a particle emitter to create the flying glass effect.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...
I would check out work by James O'Brien on fracture modeling:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/obrien99graphical.html

"Math is hard" -Barbie
Hey Harry,
Quote:you've written some pretty amazing books
Thanks! And also thank you for your ideas. I just wanted to get a basic introduction and some references to have something to read up :-)

Hey Pragma,
thanks a lot for this!

Does anyone know more references?

- Wolfgang
These fracture related physics blog posts might be of some help. The last one looks like it might be useful to you "Fracturing Rigid Materials", it links (actually i think all of the posts on that page of that blog) to 'Ron Fedkiw's site. The actual paper seems to be located at this address. Looks interesting, not sure if its what you're after though.
i believe the ps3 game resistence allowed breaking glass (true a lot of games do) but theres from screenshots looked excellant, since theres a resistence2 coming out soon, perhaps u can ask them to share their secrets?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement