SDL and use of a Gamepad how to get smooth movements?

Started by
4 comments, last by MARS_999 15 years, 11 months ago
I have a logitech rumblepad gamepad. How can I make a smooth movement when the user uses the joystick on it? e.g. Player moves fwd, and the rotates the joystick to the right or left the car should turn smoothly to the left or right. But how do I do this? I am assuming I need to use SDL_JOYAXISMOTION

case SDL_JOYAXISMOTION:
				if(sdlEvent->jaxis.which == 0)
				{
					//If joystick 0 has moved
					//If the X axis changed
					if(sdlEvent->jaxis.axis == 0)
					{
						//If the X axis is neutral
						if((sdlEvent->jaxis.value > -8000) && (sdlEvent->jaxis.value < 8000))
						{
							gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKLEFT] = false;
							gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKRIGHT] = false;
						}
						else
						{
							if(sdlEvent->jaxis.value < 0)
								gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKLEFT] = true;
							else
								gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKRIGHT] = true;
						}    
					}
					//If the Y axis changed
					if(sdlEvent->jaxis.axis == 1)
					{
						//If the Y axis is neutral
						if((sdlEvent->jaxis.value > -8000) && (sdlEvent->jaxis.value < 8000))
						{	
							gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKUP] = false;
							gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKDOWN] = false;
												}
						else
						{
							if(sdlEvent->jaxis.value < 0)
								gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKDOWN] = true;
							else
								gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKUP] = true;
						}
					}

I am not sure but I am thinking the 8000 value is suspect... From what I can tell when I move the joystick around to move left or right the wheels stay still unless I am moving forward or back then they will move left and right, but its hard to get the left right movements working... [Edited by - MARS_999 on May 14, 2008 3:57:42 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
I have a logitech rumblepad gamepad. How can I make a smooth movement when the user uses the joystick on it?

e.g.
Player moves fwd, and the rotates the joystick to the right or left the car should turn smoothly to the left or right. But how do I do this?

I am assuming I need to use SDL_JOYAXISMOTION

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I am not sure but I am thinking the 8000 value is suspect... From what I can tell when I move the joystick around to move left or right the wheels stay still unless I am moving forward or back then they will move left and right, but its hard to get the left right movements working...

//If the X axis is neutral						if((sdlEvent->jaxis.value > -8000) && (sdlEvent->jaxis.value < 8000))						{							gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKLEFT] = false;							gameStateModes.userMovements[LOOKRIGHT] = false;						}

I think it's because you're constantly setting the axis back to neutrality. Trying taking this out, and see if it works?

Also are you getting this sorta jerky movement with the car, or with the rotation turning of the car as if it's only going pixel by pixel?

if so, I believe it's because you're calling the joystick to go back to neutrality each time you're calling for this function. Try taking this out, and see if it help.

If not let me know.

I've worked on this type of project before when I bought my xbox360 controller for windows, so if this doesn't work let me know, and I'll pull out my old code.

Gotta love debugging...lol

I think I got it working now. I just dumped the fwd,back movements off the joystick and just using it for left/right now and added fwd, back buttons instead on the gamepad.
Glad to see you got it working! ;)

I actually looked at my old forum post back when I had this problem, and well what I mentioned didn't help at all... sorry, should of remembered that as well, but glad to see you got it working.

what game is it? When it's done I'd like to demo it
I think I am going make it a crash up derby game but not sure just yet. Right now I am just collecting coins and powerups with the hummer!!! :) So fun.
One last thing, I am not sure why, but when you let up on the button or press it down it will poll for a few more cycles. I put a std::cout message in the event and got like 5 or 6 more messages after the event was done... I am having some weird behavior when my car drives vs. if I use the keyboard the cars works fine. Any ideas? Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement