[.net] .NET framework required for all clients

Started by
4 comments, last by JamesLewis 15 years, 11 months ago
Hello there, I've got a simple client and server speak thing running, but I have a problem, hence the signing up :) When I send the client program to someone as an .exe file, if they don't have the .NET framework they can't use the file. So if I wanted people to use this program (which is eventually going to be made into an online multiplayer game, not just a chat service) they would all be required to have the .NET framework installed? If they don't have it, is it feasible to provide them with a link to download it? Thanks a lot, Rob
Advertisement
If your code uses the .NET framework, users will have to have the correct .NET framework version installed on their machines. Ideally your installer would install the framework if neccessary, but you can also simply tell them to download and install it if you like.
I see, I see, thanks. Another quick question, could any compatability issues crop up if the client has a different version of the .NET framework?
Nope. Different .NET versions work fine with one another.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
I think pretty much all Windows XP SP2 and later installs have .NET 2.0 installed at this point. The number of people running something earlier is dwindling, so .NET 2.0 isn't very bad.
However, .NET 3.0 and 3.5 are a different ball of wax. They are a lot bigger, and especially if you're using a WPF interface, it'll be a huge download for people on XP.
If your program requires .NET version 2.0, then anyone with a later version will be able to run it just fine.
If your program requires .NET 3.0 or 3.5, then anyone with an earlier version of .NET (such as 2.0) will not be able to run it without upgrading.

And, finally, this has nothing at all to do with network and multiplayer programming, so I'm moving the thread to the .NET forum :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
SP3 for XP is about to be released which'll give everyone .Net 3.0 (or is it 3.5?) which is good news and anyone with Vista should already have 3.5. If you're finding people who don't have the correct version of .Net installed on their system then I'd assume you're using upwards of 3.0 as, like hplus0603 said, .Net 2.0 ships with XP SP2 - which most people will have.

Go to the MSDN and download the redistributable of the .Net version you require, you can then ship this with your code - might make your .msi huge though!

James

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement