[Solved] OpenAL source playing

Started by
2 comments, last by riruilo 15 years, 11 months ago
I have been trying to use streaming sound in OpenAL and for some reason when I try to load buffers after playing of other files starts, the new sound will not play. Is there a major delay between being able to play a sound and loading data into a buffer? [Edited by - DarkShogun on May 15, 2008 2:53:09 PM]
It is not a bug, it is a feature.
Advertisement
Alright I was incorrect about diagnosing the problem. Right now I'm trying to play three different sets of buffers to stream audio. Two buffers are being used in a queued fashion, When I try to play these streams, it will only play one at a time. I'm assuming this would be something wrong with my buffer update function.

This is what I have for my update.
m_vStreams is a vector of pointers to structures I made
OggStream is the OggVorbis_File
nSource is the handle to the source given by OpenAL
	ALuint nALbuffer;	int nProcessedBuffers;	int nBytesRead = 0;	int nReadSoFar = 0;	int bitstream;	char buffer[BUFFER_SIZE];	for (unsigned int i = 0; i < m_vStreams.size(); ++i)	{		if (m_vStreams != 0)		{			// Get the number of buffers that have already been processed			alGetSourcei(m_vStreams->nSource, AL_BUFFERS_PROCESSED, &nProcessedBuffers);			// For each processed buffer, replace with new data and add back to the queue			while (nProcessedBuffers > 0)			{				// Take the first processed buffer off the queue				alSourceUnqueueBuffers(m_vStreams->nSource, 1, &nALbuffer);				// Read in the data for the buffer				while (nReadSoFar < BUFFER_SIZE)				{					nBytesRead = ov_read(&m_vStreams->OggStream, buffer + nReadSoFar, BUFFER_SIZE - nReadSoFar, 0, 2, 1, &bitstream);					if (nBytesRead == 0)						break;					nReadSoFar += nBytesRead;				}				alBufferData(nALbuffer, m_vStreams->nFormat, buffer, nReadSoFar, m_vStreams->nFrequency);				// Put the buffer with the new data on the back of the queue				alSourceQueueBuffers(m_vStreams->nSource, 1, &nALbuffer);				--nProcessedBuffers;			}		}	}

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.
I figured out the problem... i dumbly forgot to reset nReadSoFar to 0 so it wouldnt just keep the same buffer info in there.
Can you post your code?

BTW, I tried to do that few days ago, but I was unsuccesful. When I played some sounds, I could hear a strange sound at the end, sometimes even the beginning of the same sound. I thought it was a problem playing the end of the last buffer, but I couldnt solve it.

Thanks a lot.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement