MMO Character Creation Interface Survey

Started by
7 comments, last by kingmob13 15 years, 11 months ago
This is a school project on interface, not MMO design. I'm not a regular to this forum, so I apologize if this is misplaced. However, if you have some time, I'd appreciate it if you'd read my official announcement below - and if you have any comments you'd like to post here, please feel free. Official announcement follows: I'm a student at the Savannah College of Art and Design. I've created wireframes for an interface for a hypothetical MMO, Seattle 2099, for my class in Human-Centered Interactive Design. As one of the requirements for my class, I've put together a user-directed survey. If you have the time, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd be willing to explore my wireframe: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jsachs20/igtm723/wireframe/seattle1.html and take the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=MiDx38_2fAp2lhlulin4fCIg_3d_3d Thanks again for all your help. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at samwise_jhu (at) hotmail.com and I'll do my best to answer them.
Advertisement
Pretty standard, nothing really jumps out at me for being irksome except for one thing--in your character selection screen, once you pick Bob, you have a Back button to select another character. This is an unnecessary click; just let them pick another person. (You should probably have more than one "active" one programmed into your interface to explore this possibility).

There may be similar superfluous clicks in the interface, but it's almost 2AM and I am having trouble focusing. :-P
http://edropple.com
Thanks, that's a good comment. The 'Back' button is there because I had an issue with letting users climb back out of certain parts of the interface... so I implemented it as a permanent feature of those main screens.

I may set up other selectable characters in the future if you think the purpose of selecting characters is less clear without one.
Quote:I may set up other selectable characters in the future if you think the purpose of selecting characters is less clear without one.
I think that would probably help people play with it more, yeah.
http://edropple.com
I gave up trying due to my input not being accepted for example I could not name a new character or change attributes for existing characters. Thinking this was a bug due to firefox I tried ie but still no joy.
dmail, this wireframe is not interactive, for the most part.

This is a usability / information architecture exercise, the goal is to explore what you can of the wireframe and answer the questions. Although you can't really make a new character, you can explore the options available for making new characters and think about whether those are good or bad options.
Similarly, you can't really set the character's skill levels in the character advancement template, you have to just look at the interface and think about whether it would work for you or not.

Still, thanks for trying!
Quote:Original post by kingmob13
dmail, this wireframe is not interactive, for the most part.

This is a usability / information architecture exercise, the goal is to explore what you can of the wireframe and answer the questions. Although you can't really make a new character, you can explore the options available for making new characters and think about whether those are good or bad options.
Similarly, you can't really set the character's skill levels in the character advancement template, you have to just look at the interface and think about whether it would work for you or not.

Still, thanks for trying!

Hmm I did not look at the survey as I did not think there was much reason, yet the information you have there should have been posted here:
Quote:The wireframes have only basic 'button' functionality at present. Please keep that in mind as you explore whether you are able to complete the tasks involved. Furthermore art and text on the wireframes exists in a rudimentary state. This test focuses on the architecture and layout of the interface.

When you're ready, please start up the wireframe below and then open up the survey in another window. The survey should have instructions on how to proceed.
Thanks again for your help!

I will complete your questions in a while.
Yep, thanks very much dmail. I appreciate your help.
I want to thank everyone who participated in this survey.

It's now closed - I got plenty of results, and we're out of time.

If you'd like a copy of the results, or to see the revised wireframe next week, email me at

samwise_jhu (at) hotmail.com.

Otherwise, thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement