Finding .rc file in VC++ 2005 Express Edition

Started by
3 comments, last by Koolchamp 15 years, 11 months ago
I'm going through the Game Programming Genesis articles here on GameDev to learn how to create Win32 applications. I've just read the second part on Resource Script files. I've decided to mess around and see what I can do with them, but I've run into a tiny problem: I can't seem to add a resource script (.rc) file. Is this because I'm using the express edition of Visual Studio or am I doing something wrong? I've searched through the GameDev forums, google, and MSDN trying to find the answer. Mostly to the question of: Can I use .rc files with the express edition? On MSDN i've found out HOW to add a .rc file, but I can't seem to find the option to add one in the Add New Item dialog box. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time. Cheers, Ken
Cheers,Ken(Koolchamp)_____________________________"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius"If you don't have a game industry job and you want to go to E3, do what everyone else does. Launch a game review website and call yourself press." - Mike McShaffry(This is true for me) “…..I'm a geek and jocks are my natural enemy.” – Li C. Kuo
Advertisement
Right click on your project, then click on "Add New Item". Then change the item type from "Code" to "Resource" and you can add an .rc file. Also I believe that if you add any resource, you'll automatically get an .rc file added to the project.
In the Add New Item box, the only categories I can choose from are: UI, Code, Data, and PropertySheets. No resource choice.
Cheers,Ken(Koolchamp)_____________________________"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius"If you don't have a game industry job and you want to go to E3, do what everyone else does. Launch a game review website and call yourself press." - Mike McShaffry(This is true for me) “…..I'm a geek and jocks are my natural enemy.” – Li C. Kuo
Hmmm...maybe VC++ 2005 Express doesn't have the resource editor? I'm not sure, I've never used it.

EDIT: I checked, it doesn't have one unfortunately. You could try using something like ResEdit, instead.
Well now that I have that question answered, thanks MJP by the way I appreciate it. Can anyone recommend a good/fairly decent resource editor? I'm having trouble with ResEdit to work properly so I was wondering if there were any others that people have had a good experience with. Thanks again for the help and your time.

Cheers,
Ken

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement