[.net] Where can I find an accredited online C# class?

Started by
7 comments, last by Dave Hunt 15 years, 11 months ago
I'm looking for a class that's going to give me college credit. I also prefer that the class will go over gui (basic winforms stuff, not heavy duty game programming).
Advertisement
Most of the online "schools" you'll find aren't very reputable. If you really want to take a class online, it would be best to go through the college you attend/are planning to attend, and see what kinds of options they have available for online programs.

If you're just in it for the learning experience, you really don't need a full-fledged class; the free tutorials you'll find will be enough to get you started.
the problem is that most colleges don't teach c#. they'll teach java. the other problem is that they seem to have something against gui programming (winforms). it's as if it's beneath them to teach gui and they want to make it as difficult as possible.
From what I've seen, DeVry offers the option of either C++, Java or C# for a good chunk of their language-based classes.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Quote:Original post by shrek2
the problem is that most colleges don't teach c#. they'll teach java. the other problem is that they seem to have something against gui programming (winforms). it's as if it's beneath them to teach gui and they want to make it as difficult as possible.

You're missing the entirety of the point.

Most colleges (that are worth anything) don't teach java either. They use java to teach computer science. Command line programming isn't because they're making things difficult, quite the opposite. Avoiding UI programming avoids unnecessary overhead for learning to program.

Colleges teach programming, not some technology. If they're doing it right, you should be able to pickup java and C# and C++ and what have you with little trouble.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Avoiding UI programming avoids unnecessary overhead for learning to program.

I'm all for universities providing real computer science education as opposed to being java certification assembly lines, but I can't agree with this. GUI programming is most students' first and most useful exposure to inversion of control and to event-based programming. Until they've broken out of the linear execution paradigm, their understanding of that aspect of computer science is incomplete. Ease off on teaching them how to use GridBags, by all means, but avoiding UI programming altogether avoids learning.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Avoiding UI programming avoids unnecessary overhead for learning to program.

I'm all for universities providing real computer science education as opposed to being java certification assembly lines, but I can't agree with this. GUI programming is most students' first and most useful exposure to inversion of control and to event-based programming. Until they've broken out of the linear execution paradigm, their understanding of that aspect of computer science is incomplete. Ease off on teaching them how to use GridBags, by all means, but avoiding UI programming altogether avoids learning.
I agree. Event-based programming is an important skill to master.

However, I would disagree with the use of existing systems for teaching it, except for maybe as a first-day example. They need to write it themselves. The way I truly grokked event-based programming was writing a GUI system for a game in SDL. While I knew the principles of events, delegates, etc. in C#, the act of actually writing it taught me how to take advantage of it in appropriate situations much more effectively.
http://edropple.com
Sure. I perhaps presumed overly much that we were discussing freshman level cs101/102 style courses. Traditional data structures and algorithms courses won't gain much.

UIs are of course a great tool for teaching certain program structures and getting away from iterative programming. The OP though in his reply insinuated that UI programming is better/easier (and more practical by the tone of the post). My argument that CLI programming should not be ignored/disregarded was perhaps overstated into 'avoid UI altogether'; which is indeed overly limiting.
www.elearners.com has a Distance Learning accredited C# course online.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement