Sign in to follow this  

Large Scale Physics

This topic is 3497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im using DirectX and PhysX 2.8 for my project. Convex and triangle meshes cooked for objects. So far I have 2 BIG PROBLEMS Because the big triangle mesh wich is a city platform and 27 big building: 1. Seems like the skin of the platform is getting larger as the objects gets larger and objects stick above the platform. If I disable skining the objects reach the platform but never stop floating like is ice on the ground. Also sharp objects manage to get thro the platform. This never happens if I scale down the platform. 2. It takes a time (20 secons to 1minute) when the fps is very low and after that time everything is ok. Ive noticed that is because the large triangle mesh Im using. If i scale it down everything works fine. Maybe PhysX is trying to do some optimizations .. i dont know. Thanks.

Yeah using a giant triangle mesh is probably a really bad idea. You'll probably get much much better performance if you can break up the city into a bunch of boxes or other primitives, either by doing it manually or writing some sort of tool. In fact, with PhysX (or any other physics package) you should really strive to use meshes only when you really need them. In almost all cases you'll do much better with a bunch of primitives.

This topic is 3497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.