Sign in to follow this  
ZeroMemory

about 2d in OpenGL and Direct3D9

ZeroMemory    122
I have a windowed app and I have to draw into it using Direct3D9 or OpenGL. I don't have to draw 3d meshes, just 2d images. Anyway I have to be sure that i can draw things in pixel boundaries. I don't want to use float coordinates, just integer coordinates that specify pixels in the client area of the window. What I have to do is to emulate what GDI does but using these 2 APIs. I don't want to use blitting operations on surfaces (like glCopyPixels or d3ddev->UpdateSurface ecc.) because they are slow. I'd like to use geometry and textures. Is there a way to realize that? Thanks!

fpsgamer    856
All these things are possible. Simply use an orthographic projection and align the view port to the window.

In both APIs you can provide integer coordinates.

MJP    19754
In D3D you can use ID3DXSprite which should make things relatively easy for you. It basically allows you to specify a texture and a screen-space position and it will draw it for you. It can also handle things like rotation and scaling if you need it as well.

ZeroMemory    122
for mjp:
I know about the D3DXSprite interface...but it takes a D3DXVECTOR3 structure to represent the position of the sprite. It is the defined with 3 floats representing the x, y and z coordinates. Can I be sure that specific pixels can be selected using floats?

for fpsgamer:
How can I provide integer coordinates in Direct3D9 and OpenGL?

Thanks!

fpsgamer    856
Quote:
Original post by ZeroMemory
How can I provide integer coordinates in Direct3D9 and OpenGL?

You don't have to do anything special to supply integer coordinates.

In OpenGL, using any of the immediate mode functions will produce the exact same effect:

glVertex2i(2, 3);
glVertex2s(2, 3);
glVertex2f(2.0f, 3.0f);
glVertex2d(2.0, 3.0);
etc.

What is important is that you create your projection and view port appropriately such that 1 unit will map to 1 pixel on the screen.