Sign in to follow this  
51mon

Scene Volumes?

51mon    342
Hi I recently started at the company where I work. Now they dumped a piece of architecture on me to sort out. The whole thing is such a mess that I plan to redo it from scratch. I have never worked with this particular concept before, therefore I need to gather information. The task is as follow: The scene contains different (spatial) volumes. The volumes controls certain variables of the game, mainly regarding rendering. Every volume has a set of data. When moving in and out of the volumes the game variables is interpolated between the volumes data and global settings. Several volumes can intersect each other and this needs to be handled. What is this concept called? Can I find information of how to implement this robust and effective? If anybody know of some links or literature I would be thrilled. Thanks :)

Adam_42    3629
You could simply treat these volumes as if they were a special kind of light source, but instead of controlling illumination they control other variables.

The calculations should be straight forward if they are simple shapes like spheres or cubes.

For overlapping ones you need to carefully define for each type of variable what the result of combing the two will be. Adding them up as you'd do for light values might not get the effect you want.