Sign in to follow this  
smile55

Is it now still worth to read ShaderX1?

smile55    139
I have finished the book "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c" and now I want to learn how to write shaders. I read the article in ShaderX2 : Introduce to HLSL but I am still very confuse about how shaders work. So I think may be I should read ShaderX first. But I read the content of ShaderX and find in shaderX all shaders are written in ASM. ShaderX was published when the DirectX 8 was released. But now DirectX 10 has been released,is it still worth to read ShaderX now?

MJP    19754
I wouldn't bother with any material from the DX8 material, as you've noted we do things differently now (HLSL instead of shader assembly). I think if you work with D3D9 and shader model 2.0-3.0 you'll be learning concepts that will be immediately applicable even in D3D10. Just make sure you don't waste a lot of time with the fixed-function (non-shader) stuff in D3D9, as there's no reason to use it on modern hardware and is in fact completely gone in D3D10.

As for learning how shaders work...you might want to check out Riemer's series on HLSL. The tutorials are for XNA and therefore the actual application code is in C#, but the HLSL is all the same. Plus in XNA the function calls are very similar to what you have in D3D and D3DX, so you shouldn't have a problem at all following it.