Support for Managed DirectX

Started by
4 comments, last by Promit 15 years, 11 months ago
If I write a game in C# based on Managed DirectX, what are the chances of it not being available in the next 3 yrs? By saying not being available, I mean that it will be replaced and the code will break.
Advertisement
Managed DirectX is already basically discontinued. You could use SlimDX instead. There's also XNA.

For either API there should be no big worry about it being unavailable; simply package the appropriate DLLs with your installer in the appropriate fashion and you'll be fine.
If you have any plans to include DirectX 10 in your game, SlimDX is the way to go as XNA does not currenlty support DX10 nor are there any plans to support it in the foreseeable future.

I've ported my C# project from Managed DirectX to SlimDX about a month ago, and now ported it from DX9 to DX10. Even tough there are still some parts missing, SlimDX is very lean, well coded and most of all, the people behind it are helpful and are responding very quickly to questions posted on the board here.
what kind of license does SlimDX have? Is it usable in commercial games?
It uses the MIT license.
Hell, you can steal SlimDX's source code and use it directly if you want, as long as you acknowledge that you got it from us. (The exact licensing terms are the MIT license.)
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement