More Info on XNA

Started by
4 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 11 months ago
If you use XNA to develop a game is the XBOX and XBOX 360 the only systems you can play it on or can you play an XNA developed game on a PC? What would be the drawbacks if you decided to do this?
Advertisement
You can make Windows games with XNA. The entire XNA Framework is the same on both the 360 and PC, so you can largely use the same code. The difference is that on the PC you can also access the entire .NET framework and also interop with native code, just like you could in any managed app (XNA is just a managed library). With the 360 you just have whatever's in XNA and in the .NET Compact Framework, which is generally pretty limited. For games however it's not a problem at all.

I'd say that even if you're just looking to make PC games, XNA is a great way to go. The Framework is really nice and allows you to get something up and running very quickly. Also FYI to develop and deploy XNA games on your 360 you need a Creator's Club membership, which is $100 a year. You also can't make games for the original Xbox.
The XBOX 360 is the only console supported - not the original XBOX. The API is broadly compatible between PC and XBOX 360 and they pretty much work the same. The only things I ever found trouble with was

1) Performance characteristics on xbox are really different from the PC
2) On windows, there are many APIs available with .net that are not available on the PC
3) On windows, you won't be able to assume so much about resolution to use, or that the user has a gamepad. But it is almost certain that your resolutions will be different between PC/XBOX.
4) On the xbox, your TV can cut off sections of the screen that would be visible on the PC - and the amount varies by your TV. (look up title-safe regions)

So yes, technically it's just about 100% completely compatible but that doesn't mean there aren't things for you to consider.
Quote:Original post by aclysma
2) On windows, there are many APIs available with .net that are not available on the PC

(He means there are some parts of .Net that aren't on the *360*)
Well, I'm just wanting to create a game using C# and directX in some form or fashion. =)

Now for future projects I may write something for xbox360.
Quote:Original post by murdock
Well, I'm just wanting to create a game using C# and directX in some form or fashion. =)

Now for future projects I may write something for xbox360.

Then I definitely think XNA would be a great way to go for you. The graphics portion of XNA is basically just a thin wrapper around D3D9 so you can do pretty much everything you could do with the native API, but you also get all the nice stuff that comes in the framework. Then if you ever want to make it run on 360, you run the project converter and fix up any code that needs to be changed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement