Linux over Windows

Started by
222 comments, last by klems 15 years, 11 months ago
http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista [Edited by - gyula on April 13, 2010 10:37:42 PM]
Advertisement
Yes, we all know spammers use Linux.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
yes, because the free software foundation are going to be such an anti-bias site when it comes to Vista.

Which I've been using for over a year with no problems.

In short blah blah blah frankly.
I've tried SuSE linux four separate times, and each time, switching back to winxp a week later (because of hardware issues).

Besides, that article was written more than a year ago. Vista has made many improvements -- SP1 -- since then. I've been enjoying vista for the past two months; haven't had a problem with it.

And I'm especially enjoying DX10.1 :)
What's the point of this thread?

Seriously, if you prefer honey to jam, so be it. I couldn't care less ...
Quote:Original post by gyula
We might start a kind-of campain over all game producers to release Linux versions for all their games, as far they cover a wide range of consoles already.

It might be easier to upgrade Wine to run the games properly, than to make game developers create GNU/Linux versions. Even if such a campaign would succeed it would probably only cover a few games, and not include old games. If Wine was improved you would hopefully be able to play both old and new games.

If you look at Bioware's NWN the game did include a Linux client. However NWN2 was written for DirectX instead, and only targeted Windows. Games made after NWN by Bioware does not appear to target Linux either. So it was probably too much effort compared to what they gained, unfortunately.

What annoys me a bit is that when they made the Linux client for NWN I got the feeling they did it all very wrong. I got the impression they developed the NWN client for Windows and then some Linux coder applied the patches to his Linux version.

The Linux version use SDL but the Windows version does not. I wonder if they would have had a more pleasant experience if they had targeted Linux and SDL from the start, and then compiled it for Windows using e.g mingw32.

There might be other considerations too. Like SDL seem to require you to redistribute its source code if you include its binary library. Perhaps that put some off from using it?
Quote:Original post by Ranor
The Linux version use SDL but the Windows version does not. I wonder if they would have had a more pleasant experience if they had targeted Linux and SDL from the start, and then compiled it for Windows using e.g mingw32.

Yeah, and they could have used that awesome development enviroment Linux has which totally blows Visual Studio and it's tool set out of the water!

Oh wait...
Go back to /.
Quote:Original post by phantom
Yeah, and they could have used that awesome development enviroment Linux has which totally blows Visual Studio and it's tool set out of the water!

Oh wait...

Which environment do you refer to? In Linux you can pick from different IDEs. Myself I prefer to use NetBeans or Eclipse depending on what I am doing. Emacs isn't too bad either :). In Windows I use MSVC though.

Luckily SDL works in Windows too, so they could have targeted SDL on Windows atleast and still used MSVC during development. In that case they miss out the benefit of using GCC on both platforms though.
I use Visual Studio at work under Vista, and Netbeans at home under Ubuntu64 - both for C++ game development. I gotta say, Netbeans is actually pretty damn nice to work with. Has very smart editor features and provides all I need for writing large C++ games. I've also tried Eclipse with CDT and that's at a similar level.

Visual Studio is still king when it comes to debugging though - but GDB is "good enough".

I guess the point of my post is that it is no longer harder to develop programs with Linux as it is with Windows.

Windows has it's place in the world, and so does Linux. There's room for both of them and it's great we have a choice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement