Are Java applets bad for browser games?

Started by
8 comments, last by Aldacron 15 years, 11 months ago
Are Java applets "bad" for browser based games? Are they any kind of automatic turn off to folks? Thanks.
Advertisement
I wouldn't see why. I have nothing against applets, and in fact, kind of like them. If you mean people would prefer flash, I still wouldn't see why a player would care.
Quote:Original post by brandonman
I wouldn't see why. I have nothing against applets, and in fact, kind of like them. If you mean people would prefer flash, I still wouldn't see why a player would care.

My own thought is the game is the main thing. As long as the technology is not too obtrusive (and I don't think applets are), then maybe it doesn't matter. Thanks.
Maybe because Flash pops right up, which Java slows down the machine loading, displays an idiotic tray icon to explain to you that you're using Java, and decides that it wants to update itself whenever?

Just a guess.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Well, there is one game I know of that is a java applet and is very popular, RuneScape http://www.runescape.com/
I don't like the game personally, but it has made millions of dollars. The reason people play is is pretty obvious to me: It's easily accessible from any computer, portable on all OS, and it's an MMO game.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Maybe because Flash pops right up, which Java slows down the machine loading, displays an idiotic tray icon to explain to you that you're using Java, and decides that it wants to update itself whenever?

Just a guess.

Cute, but most people have the icon hidden by default. You can also use Ajax to load the applet in another thread so it doesn't lock up your browser.

OP: Why don't you look into Webstart? Applets do suck in the fact that they use the browser to do the graphics rendering.
Quote:Original post by johnnyMakesGames
Are they any kind of automatic turn off to folks?

Yeah. Java Applets are a pet-hate of mine, for pretty much the reasons promit listed. I'd much prefer people to just use &#106avascript if it's possible.

I guess I'd get over it if some tech that was suited to Java (i.e. less suited to JS/Flash) was being used, like 3D graphics ;)
Quote:Original post by Karan Bhangui
Quote:Original post by Promit

Just a guess.

Cute, but most people have the icon hidden by default. You can also use Ajax to load the applet in another thread so it doesn't lock up your browser.

OP: Why don't you look into Webstart? Applets do suck in the fact that they use the browser to do the graphics rendering.

What does webstart do that applets do not? Sorry. I've never used webstart. Main thing is I need to access a database.
FYI, Sun has finally undertaken major improvements to applet support in their JRE with a completely new architecture. For starters, each applet gets its own VM external to the browser. This eliminates the infamous browser-freeze. It also allows developers to pass VM options on the command line, something not possible under the old model. Another feature that is currently branded 'experimental' is the ability to drag an applet out of the browser window to the desktop. And Webstart now works seamlessly with applets and applications. You also get hardware acceleration via OpenGL or DirectX for Java2D and Swing. All of this (and more) is coming in Java 6 update 10, which is currently available for download as an early access release.

Additionally, both JOGL and LWJGL have support for applets, allowing you to use OpenGL directly. The latest beta of LWJGL eliminates the need to go through an AWT component by embedding a native window in the applet, which makes it easy to toggle fullscreen mode.

All of these applet improvements are great, but they should have come long ago. Sun is also addressing JRE deployment issues in 6u10 with some nice new features, making it easier to get website visitors updated in a painless fashion. I've no idea how all of this will play out on the Mac, though, which is a big consideration for indies.
Quote:Original post by johnnyMakesGames
What does webstart do that applets do not? Sorry. I've never used webstart. Main thing is I need to access a database.

Applets run in a security sandbox, applications do not. And up to now, Applets also run in a shared VM instance inside the browser. Webstart allows you to deploy a normal desktop application from web page without the same restrictions that applets have. It also will automatically check for updates every time the application is launched.

One of the applet restrictions is that network connections can only be opened to the IP which served the applet. So if your database is on a server separate from your web server, then you'd likely be better off with Webstart.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement