Sign in to follow this  
johnnyMakesGames

[java] Can I use webstart for games?

My game will be rpg like. It will need to store a fair amount of information about a given person. My guess is it'll use MySQL. Can I use webstart for that? Is that all I use? From what everyone says, using an applet is "bad" for this. Thank you for any help.

Webstart is just a method of deploying your application. So the answer is 'yes'. See my reply to your post in the beginner's forum.

I am curious, though -- is this a multiplayer game? If so, database connections shouldn't be happening from the client anyway. In that case, it won't matter if you deploy as an applet or application. One of the great things about Java is that you can configure any given application to run as an applet or desktop application with very little effort. And then you can use Webstart to deploy it in both forms. You just have to accept some restrictions when running as an applet.

If you want to see an example of webstart distribution then all my games use it. It is IMHO a nicer experience for the user than an applet (and has less overhead too).

However that's just the client app. If you're doing something which requires login and persistence you'll want some kind of server app (possibly written in PHP, Perl or Java) for the client app to talk to. Then the server app will talk to the MySQL database.

Quote:
Original post by Aldacron
Webstart is just a method of deploying your application. So the answer is 'yes'. See my reply to your post in the beginner's forum.

I am curious, though -- is this a multiplayer game? If so, database connections shouldn't be happening from the client anyway. In that case, it won't matter if you deploy as an applet or application. One of the great things about Java is that you can configure any given application to run as an applet or desktop application with very little effort. And then you can use Webstart to deploy it in both forms. You just have to accept some restrictions when running as an applet.

It is multiplayer, but more turn based (I think.) Originally, I had thought I could just use all server side. I had considered python as the language and just used normal webpages, javascript, python pages, etc. But, things happened that go beyond explaining here that mandate I use Sun's technologies. I know that means Java and all its kindreds (jsf, jsp/jstl, servlets and so on.)

So now, I think that what I need to do to make the game reality is if I use a client, just create a regular Java application. I launch that application via web start. I communicate with databases via sending information to the main website. The servlet receives the data I send it. It does whatever; it sends back information; the client does something.

I'm not sure how logging in to the client would work. I don't know how I can keep the credentials encrypted from the client to the servlets, or if I need to. There would have to be some initial sign on somewhere.

Another thing is revenue. If I have a client app I can't use things like adsense. I could have with an applet, but not the client. I don't know if it is possible to do other in game advertising.

I wanted the java app for graphics if I need them, but it's more text based so perhaps just JSP, servlets, JSF, etc. are the way to go.