Sign in to follow this  
Thevenin

Quick MSSQL 2005 Error Handling Question:

Thevenin    270
I have an ASP.NET application that executes stored procedures. In the case that a stored procedure throws any error whatsoever (even a non-fatal error), I want the program to grind to halt with a descriptive exception message being displayed in the Visual Studio debugger. For some reason, I've always used @@error, or try{} catch{} in my SQL code to mask the error and rollback the transaction. However, rolling back the transaction is almost always useless to me, because it often means a more severe and fatal error will inevitably occur later down the road whose cause was masked. If I don't provide any sort of error handling in my stored procedure code, will the SQL Client throw exceptions if anything bad happens? If it doesn't, can I get it to?

JamesLewis    234
I'm not 100% sure on this but I seem to remember from when I worked with some SQL databases that yes, your client will still throw exceptions in this situation. Is this what you want? I find working with databases a bit tricky when it comes to exceptions because if you don't do anything about an erroneous transaction it can lead to a corrupted database - bad times!

Have you not made a test client that chucks bad data at your database? Might be a good idea to make one.

James