cpp basic but easy confused question

Started by
14 comments, last by daviddiligent 15 years, 11 months ago
What's the difference between the following two functions: returnType functionName const(arguments); //(1) and returnType functionName (arguments) const; //(2) I know the (1) will allow the const instances to invoke the function. What does the (2) mean? Are these two functions have to be defined (or decleared) inside of a class? Thanks in advance.
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/Enthusiastic and wild about game development. Any opportunity would get me sink into any fantastic game-revolution era.
Advertisement
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/const-correctness.html#faq-18.10

In short, you promise that calling the function keeps the state of the class instance unchanged. For instance, you'll often see this in simple property get-functions:

class Enemy{private:  int health;public:  // correct  int getHealth() const  {    return health;  }  // wrong  void kill() const  {    health = 0;  }};

Edit:
My bad. I didn't spot the const in (1) :/
(2) still holds ;)
Quote:Original post by daviddiligent

What's the difference between the following two functions:

returnType functionName const(arguments); //(1)

and

returnType functionName (arguments) const; //(2)

I know the (1) will allow the const instances to invoke the function. What does the (2) mean? Are these two functions have to be defined (or decleared) inside of a class? Thanks in advance.

(2) will allow the function to be invoked on a const instance.
(1) is not legal C++
As above, (1) is illegal. (2) means that the 'this' pointer is of type 'const T* const' rather than just 'T* const' (e.g., you can invoke the method on instances of 'const T').
Thanks for WanMaster's reply. I remember the usage of (2).

But, I am sure that Both "jpetrie" and "Nitage" are wrong, because I just saw an example explaining that the (1) is for the use of const instances. And it is also legal. The usage of (2) is like what WanMaster's explanation
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/Enthusiastic and wild about game development. Any opportunity would get me sink into any fantastic game-revolution era.
Have you tried it in a compiler?
I just saw an example

Can we see it?
Quote:Original post by rip-off

I saw it in a book. So I believe it's right. I can't try it now. Can you try it?
Quote:Original post by rip-off

I saw it in a book. So I believe it's right. I can't try it now. Can you try it?

We could, but we already know what's going to happen. I think you need a new book.

Edit: O, what the heck...

MSVC:Compiling...1>Main.cpp1>e:\dev\temp\main.cpp(4) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'const'1>e:\dev\temp\main.cpp(4) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int1>e:\dev\temp\main.cpp(4) : error C2062: type 'int' unexpected1>e:\dev\temp\main.cpp(5) : error C2334: unexpected token(s) preceding '{'; skipping apparent function body1>Temp - 4 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Are you sure you didn't misread?
const int x = ...;int const x = ...;

These are both legal ways of declaring const instances. Furthermore
int method(const T ... );

is a way of declaring a method that accepts a const instance of something. However, your syntax
int method const ( ... );

isn't legal standard C++. See section 8.4.2 of the standard, where it states that the post-return-type portion of the function declaration must look like, basically, "name ( parameters ) optional-cv-qualifier optional-exception-specifier." It's not legal to have the cv-qualifier (const, in this case) between the name and the parameters.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement