• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
scottrick49

[java] Simple Java Applet Game Finished: Looking for Feedback

This topic is 3709 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The last couple days I decided to work on a Java Applet game. Game is finished now. Let me know what you think: link Thanks! [Edited by - scottrick49 on May 23, 2008 11:28:25 AM]

Advertisement
You could use the A-tag, so we don't need to copy&paste.

The game itself was quite psychedelic. It ran a with a low FPS on my admittedly somewhat outdated laptop. How are you drawing those circles?

What is the A-tag? I tried adding [a] and [/a] but that doesn't do anything.

As for the circles, I am using Graphics.fillOval() and Graphics.drawOval(). If there is a faster way to do that, please let me know, as I am kind of a noob when it comes to graphics with java. I get somewhere from 100-200 FPS on my machine when the game is in full action.

<a href = "link"> Description </a>

fillOval and drawOval are probably fast enough. There might be a slight speed improvement if you used bitmaps, but I doubt it. I guess there are just too many circles for my old lappie.

I tried it on a faster machine too and it's much better, though when you shoot, there's a weird jerk where all the balls seem to jump a bit.

Quote:
Original post by scottrick49
can you be more specific?

Not much. It's not very easy to see, but it's as if a couple of frames would not be rendered when I release the mouse button.

psychedelic indeed.

I reckon that a more clear explanation of the game is needed somewhere - for me it ran for about 2-3 mins while i tried to get it to start (pressing spacebar did nothing, and the mouse didn;t appear - then suddenly it started working properly and I was able to play.

Good stuff though

Yeah, a small explanation of what you're supposed to do in the game would've been nice.

The space bar didn't work because for some reason the applet didn't have focus at first. If you click anywhere on the applet, the space will work. Probably a good idea to remove the space to start thing though, since keyboard isn't really needed in the game anyway.

As said above, you need to give the java applet focus before it will recognize the spacebar.

True, you don't need the spacebar to start since you can click the button. The spacebar does use your slow-motion ability though once the game has started. I thought about putting some instructions on the front page, but I thought a more simplified look worked better. I feel that the game is so simple that no explanation is really needed and after you play once you pretty much have the hang of it.

Quote:
Original post by scottrick49
I feel that the game is so simple that no explanation is really needed and after you play once you pretty much have the hang of it.

I had no idea that there was a slow motion feature. You might wish to place that note closer to the center of the screen and in a bigger font.

BTW, The jerk appears even when I click on an empty spot, when the explosion circles don't appear. What are you doing in response to the mouse release event? I guess you're iterating over all of the circles and testing for hits. How many circles are there? Are you doing something else?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!