Sign in to follow this  
Hydraxy

Using a variable that hasn't been declared yet...

I want to be able to use a variable that hasn't been declared yet... I think that there is some keyword or way to do this (as I knew someone who did this I think) but I'm not sure how exactly to go about doing it... Anyway, basically what I want is this. (In C++) class city { public: some variables here... void produce(int &, int &, army); }; class army { public: some bariables here... void someotherfunction(int &, int &, city); } As you can see even if I reorder them I try to use a type city before it is declared (or a type army). I want to know if there is a way to tell the compiler that something will be declared... but its just not yet. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, thanks for your help.

You can't refer to a variable before it's declared, but what you're trying to do is referring to a class before it's defined. Just declare your classes before definitions:

class army;
class city;

class army { ... };
class city { ... };

Search for "forward declaration"

You can write the army in the function declaration like

class Army;
class City{
void produce(int i,Army* army);
};

You will need to include army.h in your city.cpp file.

Quote:
Original post by SnotBob
You can't refer to a variable before it's declared, but what you're trying to do is referring to a class before it's defined. Just declare your classes before definitions:

class army;
class city;

class army { ... };
class city { ... };

Forward declarations work as long as you only use pointers to the forward-declared class (otherwise, the full class definition must be available so its size is known):

class army;

class city
{
public:
some variables here...
void produce(int &, int &, army*);
};

class army
{
};

Quote:
Original post by Driv3MeFar
Forward declarations work as long as you only use pointers or references to the forward-declared class (otherwise, the full class definition must be available so its size is known)

True.

Quote:
Original post by SnotBob
Quote:
Forward declarations work as long as you only use pointers or references to the forward-declared class (otherwise, the full class definition must be available so its size is known)

True.
class army;

class city
{
void produce(int &, int &, army);
};
is fine. A full definiton of army is only required when you define city::produce.

Σnigma

Quote:
Original post by Enigma
Quote:
Original post by SnotBob
Quote:

True.
class army;

class city
{
void produce(int &, int &, army);
};
is fine. A full definiton of army is only required when you define city::produce.

Σnigma

Or when you call city::produce.